2001 2.0L automatic Super Select solenoid replacement

6 replies [Last post]
Tom_in_Canada
  • Online Status: Offline
Hey everyone, I was hoping that somebody here might have some experience replacing the super select solenoid.  I just received my new one off of amazon and now need to remove the old non-functioning one and replace it.  However, with my automatic transmission there doesn't seem to be any room to get anything in there to remove it/put the new one in.

Does anyone have any tips to help me out here?

Cheers!

- Tom

fordem
What are you calling the super select solenoid?

As far as I'm aware there are two solenoids (VSV or Vacuum Switching Valve) associated with the superselect mechanism, and they have nothing to do with the transmission, automatic or not.

The VSVs are located under the hood on the right side fender wall and can be reached from above, after you unbolt the throttle/kickdown cable assembly - don't use the cheap chinese ones, they won't last more than a year or so.

How did you diagnose the VSV as being defective?

Tom_in_Canada
I took it in to my local shop

I took it in to my local shop that specializes in imports (they do a lot of work on delicas/pajeros so they know the super select pretty well) and they diagnosed the issue.  Unfortunately could only purchase a cheap chinese replacement right now as the shop is still trying to get the OEM part from Mitsubishi.  I'm in Vancouver so things are a little more difficult as everything OEM comes from Japan and there isn't a market for the IO here. 

I know they aren't associated with the automatic transmission.  I just mentioned the automatic transmission as the gearbox makes getting into the space very difficult.  I was going to do it myself but am not experienced enough where I feel confident to take a lot of parts out to get my hand down in the space where the VSV is.

fordem
Genuine Mitsubishi VSVs are available on Amazon.

What you buy is really your choice, but if it were me, I wouldn't bother using the cheap chinese replacements - you can try megazip.net for genuine parts.  I still fail to understand why the transmission "makes getting into the space difficult" - one is behind the engine, the other is to the right of it.

Disconnect the battery negative, unbolt the (I think it's 3 bolts) bracket holding the kickdown cable pulley assembly and lay it on the engine cover and that should give you enough working space to remove & replace the VSV assembly - it is a pain in the butt because of the position of the intake, but it is "doable".  Before you install the new assembly, slot the rear bolt hole so that you don't need to completely remove the bolt to remove & replace.

Once you have the VSVs out, test them individually, and it might be a good idea to test the chinese replacements before installing them.

It is almost impossble to properly test the assembly whilst it is in the car, and just so you're aware of it, the vacuum actuator defaults to "engaged" so that even with the VSVs removed or disconnected, the freewheel mechanism will engage allowing the vehicle to be operated in 4WD, simply by shifting the transfer case.

Tom_in_Canada
Do you have a link to the OEM

Do you have a link to the OEM part on amazon?  I searched all over and couldn't find it.  Cheers

fordem
Claude io
Claude io's picture
Solenoid

I have a good second hand if you need, probably one of the last bit I have as spare part. 

As Fordem, I am not sure why getting to it is a problem....

Happy io

Syndicate

Syndicate content

Translate This Site Into Your Language