A chance to make history in July 2016

8 replies [Last post]
Fab72
Fab72's picture
  • Online Status: Offline
Hello all.

As the title suggests, this is a chance to make history.  I'm happy to be corrected but through all my very extensive research I'm yet to hear of an io traveling the full length of the.......wait for it........ Canning Stock Route (CSR).

It's been a long time desire for me to follow in the footsteps of Alfred Canning for some time now.  Yes I know that Youtube is rife with clips of people doing just that. Normally in a Cruiser, Patrol, or something else big and menaching.  Why never in an io?

Well for starters....and let's not kid ourselves here.  The majority of io's never venture beyond the bitumen or a suburban beach.  Well that's where we come into it.  We io lovers have had our io's up to Cape York, Barrington Tops, Googs Track and The Simpson Desert.  We've proudly mixed it with the best and in many instances, shown a few of them up too.

So here is your chance to take it one step further.  Now let me start by saying that if you haven't researched the CSR, do it before you commit.  It is listed as the most remote drive in all of Australia.  It stretches from Wiluna in WA to Halls Creek in WA.  A total distance of 2000kms roughly.  Just getting to the start is a long trip and then home again with a weary io could be a challenge too.

Here's some preliminary info:

I want to limit the total number of vehicles to 5.  Vehicles must be in mechanically excellent conditon (cosmetics don't matter).  Must be prepared to load share (no point taking 5 BBQ's) - space is limited.  Must be prepared to pay an upfront deposit to share the hire of a sat phone....yes this is serious shit...people die out there.  Must be prepared to take about 2 weeks to cover the CSR (excluding time taken to get to the start and get home).  Permits will be required.  Will need to carry enough fuel to travel 1000kms.....there's only one fuel stop along the CSR and it's not cheap.  No trailers or campers unless you want to take longer detours, extend your wheel base or trash your fancy camper.  Must be prepred to pitch in (as obvious as this sounds, sadly some people try to avoid cooking, cleaning, recoveries).  Suggest a 2 person limit per vehicle unless the thrid is a small child, that way, in the event of a catasrophic vehice failure, you can hitch a ride.  Often the cost to recover your vehicle will be more than it's capital worth.

OK....enough for now.  It's 18 months away so no rush unless you're really keen and don't want to miss out.  More updates including route information will be posted in due course.  In the meantime, if you're unfamiliar with the CSR....research, research, research! Youtube and ExplorOz are both great sources of info. On Youtube, if you type in The Canning Stock Route and search for a clip by Gavin Foreman.  Lots of info in this clip and entertaning.  Don't be put off by the 38 minute length.  It goes all too quick.

Til next time...... ciao.  Fab.

"Love that car"

Claude io
Claude io's picture
canning video

This is the video, what a trip !!

Happy io

Fab72
Fab72's picture
That's the one

That's the one Claude.  Thanks mate.  Although this one doesn't quite share the enormity of the drive, it does share quite a bit of interesting historical info and shows in good quality the type of terrain.

From what I can gather, it's no where near as tough as the Simpson terrain (I've been across the Simo - but not the CSR) but it's 4 times the length!  I reckon the io's should make it easy with the only hurdles being fuel range, ability to carry enough gear to be self sufficient for two weeks and the obvious uncontrollable risk..... the weather!  This is all based on my sensible "Take it easy and make it home" approach vs the "Dakkar speed trial" approach.  If anyone is considering the later.....please make your own plans!

Thanks again Claude.  Interested?  Hehe.

Fab.

"Love that car"

MadMax
MadMax's picture
Sound like a great trip,

Sound like a great trip, plenty to think about I guess.

Would be a great opportunity, but the idea of driving 4000kil just to go there.... :(

+ I am no "crocodile dundee" so... but I like the idea, will follow the post and................ "Never say never"

just read that:  http://www.ashadocs.org/aha/16/16_04_Grimwade.pdf

I live my life a 1/4 mile at the time

Fab72
Fab72's picture
Hey Madmax, Thanks for the

Hey Madmax,

Thanks for the link to th PDF.  Great read.

Crocodile Dundee....lol.  I was thinking I was more of a Russel Coight.  The remote long distance touring is right up my alley hence spending $$$ to get a custom sub tank made for my 5 door.

I'm a bit closer to the start than you by about 1000kms.  It makes abig difference hey.

Fab.

"Love that car"

Claude io
Claude io's picture

Not sure, probably not. I have to be at work till mid July and this is a lot of kms (and time!). I managed to be self sufficient for a week when doing the Simpson but two or even more in this case....

It still sound like another great adventure.....I think that it is worth saying that you have some good mechanical skill to help other if needed, like the "not Crocodile Dundee" This doesn't mean that their car shouldn't be fully serviced and checked before such a trip.

Have you done your engine conversion ?

Happy io

Fab72
Fab72's picture
Nope...no engine conversion. 

Nope...no engine conversion.  I want to keep it as simple as possible without introducing any new "weakest links" ahead of my adventure.

Fab.

"Love that car"

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Hey Fab, where are you

Hey Fab, where are you located ? I'm in Brissy (ipswich). The trip sounds like something I would be interested in. 

Fab72
Fab72's picture
Adelaide

G'Day KF65,

I'm in Adelaide so closer to the start of the Canning, but you'll be closer to the finish.

I want to stick with the prefered method of going from south to north.

Fab.

"Love that car"

Syndicate

Syndicate content

Translate This Site Into Your Language