Io 1:1.925 low range sets $50

42 replies [Last post]
bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
  • Online Status: Offline
Hi Guys,

Andrew at A.T. Motorsport in Lawnton, Brisbane has four sets of 1:1.925 low range gears (two for autos and two for manuals) 

$50 per set.

Andrew has a looooong career and serious performance modifications, (supercharged mitis's etc) are his bread and butter.

Give him a call if interested:  (07) 38813126

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
Low range gears available

Both Simmo and I know Andrew well - top guy and active in the pajero scene

MadMax
MadMax's picture
Thats all you need in

Thats all you need in parts???

if yes I will get it.... just in case somebody wants to do it for/with me for a 6 pack one day... or 2 or 3 packs...

I live my life a 1/4 mile at the time

MadMax
MadMax's picture
Thats all you need in

Thats all you need in parts???

if yes I will get it.... just in case somebody wants to do it for/with me for a 6 pack one day... or 2 or 3 packs...

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Hey MADMAX aren't you from up

Hey MADMAX aren't you from up here somewhere ? By memeory I think you are from somewhere near me ?

plummer
plummer's picture
Lower gears

Is there any website where we can see these gears for sale?
Regards,
Cristian

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's own courage

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Oh and MADMAX it would be

Oh and MADMAX it would be more like a carton or 2, it's a big job and if it's manual it's worse. It would cost somewhere around $500 - $700 at a gearbox place for labour alone but we are all willing to help out.

Keith65
Keith65's picture
The thing is that you need to

The thing is that you need to get someone who has done it b4 and so far there is 4 of us: Myself, Bob, Claude and Simmo. i understand you have the 1.6ltr iO and if you have you need to find out if the transfer is the same as the 1.8 and 2.0ltr. It would be a pitty to pull it all out and find out if it was different and have to put it back together without the new gears in.

MadMax
MadMax's picture
Hello , yep I am close to

Hello , yep I am close to you, Forest Lake :)

And Yes, I understand that it is a Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig job. I had a chat with Bob yesterday and he also pointed out the potential differences in the gear box for the 1,6L.

I am mostly doing easy , or what I think is easy 4x4... nothing extreme, so I am happy with the car as it is.... was more, oif possible would be great but... .... is not, I am still happy as :)

Tks :)

MadMax
MadMax's picture
Hello , yep I am close to

Hello , yep I am close to you, Forest Lake :)

And Yes, I understand that it is a Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig job. I had a chat with Bob yesterday and he also pointed out the potential differences in the gear box for the 1,6L.

I am mostly doing easy , or what I think is easy 4x4... nothing extreme, so I am happy with the car as it is.... was more, oif possible would be great but... .... is not, I am still happy as :)

Tks :)

Keith65
Keith65's picture
If you did go ahead and do it

If you did go ahead and do it you won't be disappointed with the result, it is like having 1 full gear lower again. You will enjoy a lot of the tracks a hell of a lot more, I was happy with my low gear also but after doing it it makes you wonder why Mitsi didn't put those gears in that model from the start.

MadMax
MadMax's picture
Sounds good for sure, need to

Sounds good for sure, need to investigate this gear box size problem... Hummmmmmm.... :(

Keith65
Keith65's picture
We could meet and compare the

We could meet and compare the 2 and see if there is any difference in the transfer case ??

MadMax
MadMax's picture
I have so much on my plate at

I have so much on my plate at the moment that I would not do any modif on the iO any time soon, but worrth the look for sure

I am based in Forest Lake :)

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Could you afford to have your

Could you afford to have your iO off the road for around 2 or 3 days to do the mod ??? With the price of $50 for the gears and doing it it would be worth it but all comes down to your transport .

MadMax
MadMax's picture
Yep I could as I have another

Yep I could as I have another car.... :) iO was purchased as a week end "toy", used on the road also at the moment as it has a great air con :)

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
io standard input gears

Input gears:

manual 2002 2.0 MR377143

manual 1998 1.6 MR377143

low range clusters

manual 2002 2.0 MR377658

manual 1998 1.6 MR377658

looks like they are the same!!

MadMax
MadMax's picture
Tks guys :) 

Tks guys :) 

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Good stuff, should be easy

Good stuff, should be easy then, and cheapish also. It would cost a fortune to get a gearbox place to do it .

MadMax
MadMax's picture
Just, for info.... how long

Just, for info.... how long to do that? where? how? who? when? LOL

MadMax
MadMax's picture
Just called, problem solved,

Just called, problem solved, the gears are sold :(

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Keep an eye out for a gen 2

Keep an eye out for a gen 2 V6 3.0ltr man and when you have the gears and will need to order 3 seals, 2 go on the main shaft and 1 goes on the selector shaft that runs from the gearbox to transfer and if you need a spacer for the gearbox side seal a 70mm c-clip in what I used.

Once you have all that and if you wanted to do it at my place as I have all the necessary stuff here (tools) it will take 2 days, 1st day to pull it all out and fit the gears and leave it over night for the silicon to set then the 2nd is just putting the rest back together. Should be able to pull it out and put back in in the 1st day.

Replacing the actual gear is very easy, it's just taking the box out and in is the hardest part.

simmo777
simmo777's picture
1-2 days

As long as it's not super hot and you end up getting frustrated and talking smack all day and you have to install on day 2 ;) 

Good time but!

2002 5dr Pajero IO QA 2.0L Auto - Lifted, Locked!! 1.925 Low Range - Muddies (205/80/16) - Redback Extractors to 200cell cat to dump at diff Exhaust 

MadMax
MadMax's picture
Thanks a lot. I will keep

Thanks a lot. I will keep having a look.... missed an opportunity I guess, not point to talk about it.

One way or another we will have to meet somehow and get an iO day out and NO Simmon not in the glassHouse hahahhahahahhah.... I just do not want to destropy my iO....I need it :)

simmo777
simmo777's picture
Max Mad

MadMax wrote:

Thanks a lot. I will keep having a look.... missed an opportunity I guess, not point to talk about it.

One way or another we will have to meet somehow and get an iO day out and NO Simmon not in the glassHouse hahahhahahahhah.... I just do not want to destropy my iO....I need it :)

Don't worry Max... We will just... Go on a Ripley trip... I promise it'll be fine ;) 

Mate glasshouse would be fine!! There are cat tracks everywhere you don't have to try aggressive stuff!

2002 5dr Pajero IO QA 2.0L Auto - Lifted, Locked!! 1.925 Low Range - Muddies (205/80/16) - Redback Extractors to 200cell cat to dump at diff Exhaust 

simmo777
simmo777's picture
Max Mad

MadMax wrote:

Don't worry Max... We will just... Go on a Ripley trip... I promise it'll be fine ;) 

Mate glasshouse would be fine!! There are cat tracks everywhere you don't have to try aggressive stuff!

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Hey Simmo it was very hot and

Hey Simmo it was very hot and the heat got to all of us but it was fun tho.

MadMax
MadMax's picture
I am a very soft guy .... I

I am a very soft guy .... I like the sand hahhahahahhahahahahahahhahahh LOL

Keith65
Keith65's picture
And if i can get the new

And if i can get the new extended shocks by then it will be good to see how they go compared to other iO's.

simmo777
simmo777's picture
Ippy crew

Keith65 wrote:

Hey Simmo it was very hot and the heat got to all of us but it was fun tho.

Yeah mate it was a ripper weekend! WIll have to come down stay at Andrews for a weekend and do Ripley or something soon 

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Yep I need a good test on

Yep I need a good test on mine now i have done the panhard rod and hopefully very soon the 5 and half inch extended shocks with bigger bump stops. My wheels will be comong out of the wheel arches completely with that sort of drop.

Claude io
Claude io's picture
extended shock

Keith65 wrote:

Yep I need a good test on mine now i have done the panhard rod and hopefully very soon the 5 and half inch extended shocks with bigger bump stops. My wheels will be comong out of the wheel arches completely with that sort of drop.

I am curious...what do you mean by 5.5 inch extended shock. Is it like 14 cm longer shock at the rear ? 

Happy io

MadMax
MadMax's picture
If you come south :) I will

If you come south :) I will come and say Hello.... Now Ripley, wellwellwelllllll. got stock there, Plus some popo cameras now. So better going with Keith for sure

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Hey Claude yes the extended

Hey Claude yes the extended Hilux rear shocks are around 12.5cm - 125mm approx longer and should get some good travel out of the diff with them on. I am running the standard Hilux ones now which are 65mm longer and can go an extra 65mm easy.

MadMax the camera that is at Ripley is in a area where we are not aloud to go but some people still go in there and get done so it's their own fault if the get fines in the mail, there are no camera's in the area where we go and the cops will sit out the front sometimes but they are mostly there for the trail bikes and also sit there with the radar catching people speeding coming down the hill. No body has provided any prove the they have been booked coming out of the bush as of yet so I wouldn't believe everything you hear about the cops and Ripley.

MadMax
MadMax's picture
yep thats why I was saying

yep thats why I was saying better going with YOU :) 

Claude io
Claude io's picture
longer shock

Keith65 wrote:

Hey Claude yes the extended Hilux rear shocks are around 12.5cm - 125mm approx longer and should get some good travel out of the diff with them on. I am running the standard Hilux ones now which are 65mm longer and can go an extra 65mm easy.

MadMax the camera that is at Ripley is in a area where we are not aloud to go but some people still go in there and get done so it's their own fault if the get fines in the mail, there are no camera's in the area where we go and the cops will sit out the front sometimes but they are mostly there for the trail bikes and also sit there with the radar catching people speeding coming down the hill. No body has provided any prove the they have been booked coming out of the bush as of yet so I wouldn't believe everything you hear about the cops and Ripley.

Thanks

Interesting, my 2 doors with the Mazda astina at the rear, and with the Gabriel 81318 (the hilux one, about 60 mm longer than the original io) is limit on the handbrake cable and limit as to loosing the rear spring, just ok for the brake line. So, yes if you added an extra 65 mm....you must have done a bit more work....you have to do that built thread :)

What shock are they ?

Happy io

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Claude if you follow your

Claude if you follow your hand brake cable back just past where the upper control arms bolt to the chassis they are held on by a bracket, you can do the same thing to them as the brake line and take them out of the bracket and let them hang so they don't stretch. Just make another bracket or put zip ties to hold them in place. That way they won't stretch or self adjust the hand brake.

Regarding the springs I got mine from the Ford Laser (1996 I think) which is suppose to be the same as the Mazda Astina and I can undo my shocks and let the diff down more and the springs still stay in so I measured how much and if i wanted I think i could go about 70mm but the extended hilux shocks are only 50mm longer so I should be fine.

The Gabriel 81318 are 65mm longer and the extended Hilux shocks are around 115 -125mm longer than the standard iO's  but i don't know the part number for them.

One thing i have noticed is that the brake proportional valve above the diff may need a longer spring or just disconnect it for when 4x4 driving and using all the flex as it it stretching past it's working state and stopping the diff to drop to it's full potential. 

Claude io
Claude io's picture
rear shock

Keith65 wrote:

Claude if you follow your hand brake cable back just past where the upper control arms bolt to the chassis they are held on by a bracket, you can do the same thing to them as the brake line and take them out of the bracket and let them hang so they don't stretch. Just make another bracket or put zip ties to hold them in place. That way they won't stretch or self adjust the hand brake.

Regarding the springs I got mine from the Ford Laser (1996 I think) which is suppose to be the same as the Mazda Astina and I can undo my shocks and let the diff down more and the springs still stay in so I measured how much and if i wanted I think i could go about 70mm but the extended hilux shocks are only 50mm longer so I should be fine.

The Gabriel 81318 are 65mm longer and the extended Hilux shocks are around 115 -125mm longer than the standard iO's  but i don't know the part number for them.

One thing i have noticed is that the brake proportional valve above the diff may need a longer spring or just disconnect it for when 4x4 driving and using all the flex as it it stretching past it's working state and stopping the diff to drop to it's full potential. 

With the Hilux shock such as the Gabriel 81318, I can keep my handbrake fixation without let it hang or the need of another bracket but it is limit (specialy on the left) Yes I think that you are right to say that it can be easily be adjusted if needed by making another braket.

My io doesn't have a brake proportional valve above the diff (2002 with ABS model), so no pb for me here :)

Now you say that : "I can undo my shocks and let the diff down more and the springs still stay in so I measured how much and if i wanted I think i could go about 70mm but the extended hilux shocks are only 50mm longer so I should be fine"

I found similar measurement (the extra 70 mm) now if this extended hilux shock are 115-125 longer, I have checked that on my io...it is not fine !

Again I might be wrong, but if you haven't done anything to hold the spring, I would advise you to check before going on the track.... Not fun loosing the rear spring and it can be dangerous and costly to repair

Happy io

Keith65
Keith65's picture
The 81318's that we have in

The 81318's that we have in now are 65mm longer and the extended hilx are around 115mm so we would be going an extra 50mm approx so the springs should be fine but it's not a bad idea to put something on the lower spring plate to hold them in just incase.

Keith65
Keith65's picture
And yes I have done a little

And yes I have done a little bit of extra work on mine but I can't give away all my secrets now can I, Lol.

I will do a build thread but it will take me a whole day plus to do it and I don't think we can save it until it is finished and then post it. Plus I have heaps of photo's i would have to organise and save and put them in the right section ...... shit I have done so much to the car.

How time flies when having fun, Lmao.

isilva
Is there ant set left?I am

Is there any set left?

I am from Brazil and would like to purchase one set. It would be difficult to me to call him.

Of course i'll pay shipment

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
low range to Brazil

you would have more luck in Brazil with a montero etc - if I find a set i will let you know but wreckers near you would be an easier start

isilva
I have tried but a it would

I have tried but a it would cost 500usd for the entire t-case on a wrecker.

Please, let me know if you have one set for me! 

I havent heard of any TR4 (IO/Pinin) down here with those sets of low gear yet

Thank you

Syndicate

Syndicate content

Translate This Site Into Your Language