Mt Tamborine. 14/01/2012.

6 replies [Last post]
ktm300
ktm300's picture
  • Online Status: Offline
I met up with Bob_Oz at 10 am. Weather was clear, humid, with a chance of rain.

After a introductory chat we compared each others IO's and headed out to the trails.

Airing down before the dirt, we stopped for some photos and made friends with the local horses checking out the ZR's.

Beautiful scenery, views, and creek crossings, soon gave way to a couple of tricky tracks, that were no match for the black ZR crew.

Stopped for lunch and a beer, at a great pub, with an impressive outlook over the Gold Coast.

Then more carpark IO chinwag, before making our way to another track, through the Tamborine forest.

This was equally scenic, with views across the hinterland and a nice way to finish the day.

Back to the 7/11 to air up and bid farewell.

Good to meet up with a new mate and fellow 4x4 / IO enthusiast.

Thanks Bob-Oz for showing me around your 'backyard'.

Thanks to Glen and pajerio.com.

More of these days in the future I hope.yesyes

Here's a taste of the action.

"It should be assumed everything I say and do is incorrect ".

NZIO
NZIO's picture
Nice

Looks like you guys had a good day in some beautiful countrysdie. Thanks for sharing.

(and KTM, I'm genuinely curious why the Dobinsons have worked out for you - certainly didn't look like you were getting too harsh a ride in the vid).

singlecell
singlecell's picture

super annoyed I couldnt make it now!!!

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
two ZR's

Hi KTM,

Thanks heaps for coming down, was great to meet another io enthusiast and what are the chances of meeting someone else with a black ZR laugh

Watching the video really doesn't do that hill justice, i'm still amazed that we both got up it without too much trouble. It really showed how much lockers transform the io - there is no way at all a stock io would have made it up much further than the firt point I stopped.

I struggled twice, both times when the front lost traction and the rear end spun up and hopped sideways into a hole, having a SWB doesn't help but with a front locker I probably wouldn't have stopped at all.

Definitly should organise a beach trip up your way - something the rocky guys might be able to travel down for too!

Thanks again - was a great day!

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
Map

for those of you passing through in the future..

We started at the bottom of the mountain on Caballo Rd, climbed up via the play area, crossed over the lower creek crossing towards the Wongawallan exit but hair-pinned back across the upper creek crossing to exit up via the death-hill onto Eagles Cl.
After lunch headed down Wongawallan Rd taking the left-hand track to exit out on Welches Rd.

ktm300
ktm300's picture

Oww, look @ em.

Just like pea's n carrots.

Your right Bob, nothing looks the same in photos or on video.

If your serious about getting off the beaten track, without recovery, lockers go a long way.

We could barely walk up that hill and didn't even christen the Maxtrax!!

When it cools down we will have to organize something.

Actually, we should organize something for when it cools down.

Take your pick,  Bribie, Teewah, Morten, Stradie, Fraser,

and yes all are welcome.

NZIO. Don't know what to say?

From now on refer to your superior as  IRONASS .com

My ride is firm, when empty the front thumps a bit, I have lost some 'droop'. But wouldn't go back to standard springs.

Watching Bobs IO on Sat. He definitely had a more supple ride over the crap, but also had more body roll etc. on road.

I went to Byron over xmas. Loaded to the hilt + wife & kids no worries. Sis inlaw (CRV) had 1/4 the gear and one big girl in the back and was chuckin wheelys and near rolling it round the bends.

Coincidentally I measured the front spring  today. 

Dia 16.3 mm.

"It should be assumed everything I say and do is incorrect ".

Claude io
Claude io's picture
trip

I just saw the video, is it a love story between 2 io? heartThey were, even, dancing, beautiful...I nearly cry...cheeky

I don't think, I am sure!, that I would have not make it up that hill:(  Am I wrong, or the 2 diff seem to make a big difference?

I should get my gopro video sometime next week, I hope that I will be able to do half as good for the presentation. I can see what Bob mean by saying that it is hard to appreciate the steep hill, but the rare times that my io have been jumping like his did was not on a nice flat road!

Thank you for sharing your day. yes

Happy io.

Syndicate

Syndicate content

Translate This Site Into Your Language