New Dobson 30mm Lifted Front Raised Springs for Sale! C43-114

19 replies [Last post]
johnicue
johnicue's picture
  • Online Status: Offline
Hi all,

I have two front 30mm Lifted Dobson Springs up for Sale, I just bought them less than one week ago for $176. I found them to be a little firm in my SWB 2002 IO.

Might be better in a LWB  Pajero IO

I also found the ride to be alot better when there were 4 people in the card.

Only installed for a few days, Original boxes & invoice included. $160 ono.

Dobson Part no C43-114

Call John 0419 448 041, Sydney Peakhurst.

natsterrr
natsterrr's picture
refund

Have you tried calling Dobinsons and letting them know that the handling is too harsh / dangerous with their springs? Perhaps you could ask for a refund?

For me, I'm glad to hear about these sort of things so I don't have to go through the same problems, but if I was Dobinsons I'd be pretty upset to hear that so many people have had problems with my product and were telling others not to buy them.

Would it be that hard for them to redisign the iO springs to offer a better ride? Surely it would just be a slightly thinner guage, slightly longer spring, and would solve all our problems!

Size is not important; it's how you use it that matters!

natsterrr
natsterrr's picture
Think I figured it out

Just looked up that part number and found this:

http://www.dobinsonsprings.com/pdf/MITS-55.pdf

It specifies the same spring for 1.6 and 2.0 SWB iO's. With the raised spring pan on the 2.0, its no wonder the ride was harsh. I'd let Dobinsons know that the part they sent is only suitable for the 1.6 and not right for your vehicle.

You could try and exchange them for the 'Standard Height' springs, which should give you some lift, just like NZIO got when he put his standard springs in his new struts.

Claude io
Claude io's picture
refund

FULLY AGREE, try to get a refund. If the shop don't listen send a written complain to "Dobinsons" . More than one of us have bought they spring and could not keep them, someone must have done something wrong with the specification of the io spring. I don't mind helping with the letter if you need to. And if it does work that will be another win for all io owner and for "Dobinsons" as well.

Happy io.

johnicue
johnicue's picture
Thanks Guys, Just called

Thanks Guys, Just called Dobsons Sydney re- refund, explaining situation. They are getting back to me. Yes I would appreciate any help if they don't comply.

By the way my struts are kyb 334405's is it true the bottom pan is 25mm higher than factory struts?

natsterrr
natsterrr's picture
I'd be trying those other

I'd be trying those other springs if i were you, see if it solves all your issues. If it does then I might do the same with mine (my iO is the same model as yours, and yes the standard struts on the 2.0 models do have the higher spring pan).

If you explain that to Dobinsons they might be more compliant as it might result in more sales, and they can update their catalogue to suit. But try and do it in a way that they will still allow for a refund if the other springs don't work out. Hopefully the extra labour costs won't be too much, but if the handling of the vehicle is dangerous because of their poor research / knowledge of the different models, then they should sort that out for you.

singlecell
singlecell's picture

Mine is a 1.6L and has the higher spring pan. Its just all the later cars. Any engine size.

natsterrr
natsterrr's picture
What year is yours? I thought

What year is yours?

I thought it was from October 2001 that all the Aussie iO's became 2.0?

Perhaps the strut change did not coincide with this?

The plot thickens!

NZIO
NZIO's picture
early/late

I'm not 100% sure about this but I think I've only seen the early strut mentioned as being fitted to 1999 1.8l cars (which mine is).

But we also know there's huge variation in these cars not just across model years but from Japan to Au&NZ to Europe... There's a new guy from Kosovo here who says he can't fit a 225/75 onto his 2003.

The only way we're going to unpick what Mitsi fitted where is to get more data from owners.

John - how long are these Dobinson springs (uncompressed)? Have you (or KTM) got a digital caliper to measure the thickness of the coil?

johnicue
johnicue's picture
Funny you ask this? When I

Funny you ask this? When I picked up the springs, The guy who served me, actually opened the box, & he commented on how he too thought the springs were very thick for such a small 4x4, This is going to by my refund point! I measured the springs. They are 16.45mm think. When I removed the original springs I found I have to compress them more than the dobinson's.  I'll get back to you on the height of the coils.

johnicue
johnicue's picture
DON"T BUY DOBSON PAJEIRO IO

DON"T BUY DOBSON PAJEIRO IO FRONT SPRINGS!

Ok, Guys, here's the lo-down, Dobsons Springs are going to refund me on the springs. I will be returning them today. So Obviouly they are no-longer for sale, not that anyone would want them after my experience!

I meansured both the original springs & Dobsons springs. As it turns out they are both the same height. 365mm Left's, 360mm Right's.

OEM IO Springs 13.99mm thick coil

Dobson Springs 16.45mm thick coil

The ride on the front stock coil is so much better, that it is not funny. back to a smooth ride. The Dobson's are way too strong & firm. So much so, that even under braking & sudden movements the whole front was moving up and down, as if the front end was solid, and all this was on-road, I'd hate to think what it would be like OFF-ROAD!

Even the droop with the dobsons when the car was lifted at the front was only 20mm.

I reckon these springs were designed based on the struts with 25mm lower pans. Way too firm!

NZIO
NZIO's picture
KTM's iron ass?

Good info and it's good to know they did the right thing.

The only headscratcher now is that if they're really this freakin bad, has KTM got different springs in his, or just an iron ass ;)

Claude io
Claude io's picture
Spring

Good to know that they are giving you a refund, the next step would be to contact them and see if they could make a softer spring.

Iron bum? may be, but iron io for suresmiley I think that Ktm have some 225/75/16 tyres and being a fatter tyre, they might compensate for the stiffness of the Dobinson spring.

Happy io

johnicue
johnicue's picture
I think I am getting

I think I am getting somewhere, just got my money back for Dobson springs. Let me tell you how professional they were. They were awesome! Good to see.

Great customer service!

Here's what I learnt, Front OEM IO Coils have 150 pound spring rate from factory, Dobson C43-114 have 220 pound spring rate, way too much increase.

Dobson's are looking into making 30mm springs with lower spring rates!  Say in between.

Also called King Springs & mentioned my  delema. This is yet to be confirmed, but they stated their IO Front Springs may be around 175 pound rated, which should be a lot better.

Any one have front  King Springs in their IO?

NZIO
NZIO's picture
King springs

Good stuff - thanks again for the update.

Just a reminder that I got onto the BA Mazda springs in the first place because their catalogue had the same part number for BA Mazda fronts and raised IO rears. So this should mean (if they thought about what they were doing which is not necessarily the case) the weight of their fronts should be well matched to the slightly heavier Mazda rear springs.

Claude io
Claude io's picture
spring

GREAT to hear :) and everybody win! and Happy io!  So what are you getting now?

johnicue
johnicue's picture
just ordered, King Springs

just ordered, King Springs front 30mm raised coils, according to the sales guy, they are rated at 165/175 pound, matching the rear BA Astina Springs! I should get them on Thursday next week, fingers crossed.

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
Watching keenly

I'm really interested in how they go compared to the ba rears.

Ben3132
Ben3132's picture
Io springs/struts

Hi, sorry, just a bit confused with all the part numbers and spring rates flying abot. Couple of questions-

Whats the factory spring rates front and rear for a 2000, 1.8l 5 door?

Whats the make and the part number for the struts with the raised spring cup?

Bought a set of Ironman springs not long ago. Allegedly a 30mm lift. These were up a good 60mm! I know they need time to settle, but half their height?...They were rough and bouncy as all buggery too. Put the factory spring back in. Beautiful :) Does anyone yet make a rasied spring with the same spring rate? I havea full set of Ironman springs if anyones interested......

Cheers, Ben

Claude io
Claude io's picture
spring and strut

This link will explain a bit more about the spring and strut    .http://pajerio.com/forum/kingspring-and-kyb-mix

At post 13, you will have some spring rate  http://pajerio.com/forum/new-dobson-30mm-lifted-front-raised-springs-sale-c43-114

Kingspring will make whatever you want :)

Have a good read, and if you have more question...ask...

Happy io

Syndicate

Syndicate content

Translate This Site Into Your Language