15+16 inch tyre options please.

13 replies [Last post]
Rustypinin
  • Online Status: Offline
Hi, this is a short strut 3dr 2000yr pinin.

After searching old threads am hoping today there's more options, in current situation.

No , I'm not wanting to do lifts etc. Budget bolt on wheels & tyres. Now should be more used wheels (outlander/ FTO/etc).

Taller sidewall is fine by me, plus decent replaceable cost and availability of tyres.

If 15 inch clear the brakes and  I can go with bigger sidewall that's fine. Will need to know the range of ET allowed for the wheels. In 15" and 16".

Thanks!

fordem
As always ...

Let's start with what struts does your car have?  Even if you're not interested in a lift, the position of the spring seat on the front strut is the limiting factor in tire size and until we know what that is, a 215/70R16 is about the largest you can go.

pebre
In principle, the 15-inch

In principe, the 15-inch wheels do not pass and touch the brake caliper.

Rustypinin
Yes you are right, I was

Yes you are right, I was hoping to go 15" with taller sidewall height. And maybe less offset. And thinner tyre 195-205.

I will just have to go the FTO wheel, 215/75 x16 way.

It's just in 15 " there's more rally gravel tyres available.

Best wishes.

Rustypinin
Or Some tidy outlander wheels

Or Some tidy outlander wheels would be nice pls!

Nothing against steel wheels though. Seen several cracked alloy wheels.

Are the nuts the same for alloy and steel-or do I need a taper just for alloys?

Ta.

pebre
The 215 75 x 16 dimension is

The 215 75 x 16 dimension is quite limited in the choice of A / T tires, it is preferable to go either in 205 80 x 16 or in 225 70 x 16 but with rims of at least 6.5 or 7 inches for the 225.

https://www.entraxes.fr/vehicule/Mitsubishi/Pajero%20Pinin%20(2000%20-%202007).html

fordem
Depends on the rim

Steel wheels generally take a tapered nut, alloy wheels may or may not, you need to match the nut to the wheel.

Rustypinin
Ok that sounds good to me. I

Ok that sounds good to me. I need AT tyres tallest sidewall height,  I like grabber at2/at3.

Going for a wider tyre, am worried about catching bodywork and aa it's a light car 225 tyre will not cut into snow and mud to better surfaces underneath so well. 

Are here any negatives to 205/80x16? Any good tyre brands you use in this size? Or to avoid?

Thanks fordem I will try to get matching nuts, though with secondhand wheels they rarely come with them.

I've seen some nasty incidents with wheels departing from their vehicle !

Cheers 

Ps i will avoid aftermarket alloys as poor, steels are fine by me.

pebre
Be careful because this tire

Be careful because this tire size only fits with KYB 334405 type suspension struts.

If you have the basic legs it won't work.

Rustypinin
Thanks Pebre! If I changed

Thanks Pebre! If I changed the wheel offset (ET) would they go on? How much ET would i need on a low pan strut car do you guess?

I could fit spacers, or lower et wheels say if original was et46 then go et 36 or more. Add on wheel arches are easy to do.

A popular size will be cheaper to buy plus more off road patterns to choose from.

Do you think the gearing too tall, or makes towing difficult with 205/80x16?

Thanks.

pebre
Hello it could be a solution

Hello

it could be a solution to move the wheels apart to put on larger tires and pass them past the original springs.

But this is not rational because the spacing will be too great to be compliant in safety.

Replacing the shock absorber tubes compatible with 205 80 x16 tires will be safer and more economical with the original wheels.

Rustypinin
Ok thanks pebre! I will take

Ok thanks pebre! I will take it apart to remind me how it looks/take measurements. Am sure it will confirm what you said.

I did see 215/75x16 (728 radius) in cooper discoverer m+s in an old catalogue. Seems a rare size....

At the moment it is difficult to get parts for anything.... Mitsubishi new  prices means used parts only.

Maybe there should be a list for low pan cars, what tyres with which offset is ok.

The steering feel could be poorer if the ET is far from original, but a wider tracks more stable .

pebre
So Rustypinin, tell us what

So Rustypinin, tell us what solution you chose for your car?

Personally, I put 225x 70/16 tires on, it gives the car another look without the tires touching the bodywork.

Rustypininagain
Wheel and tyre combo

Thanks for the photos it looks good.
I haven't got far in the work due to rebuilds of other cars/engines.
The main thing is finding good second hand alloy wheels and nuts. Tyres nowadays crack due to poor rubber composition in short time so these will need replacing despite hardly worn.
Thanks again.

Syndicate

Syndicate content

Translate This Site Into Your Language