2001 1.8 pajero IO engine rattle between 3-4000rpm especially on highway

3 replies [Last post]
RMM1995
  • Online Status: Offline
Hi I all i have a pajero io 1.8 maNual wheN i drive and hold untill between 3 and 4000rpm between changing gears i get a weird engine rattle and it also is worse when driving on highway doing around 110klm/h i seem too have to always be on and off with accelerator i cant hold it at a steady rev otherwise it is constantly rattling. It has 280,000klm on it and i use a 15w40 engine oil. Just wondering if anyone else has come across the same noise or have an idea of what it could be?

themonk3106
themonk3106's picture
Engine Rattle

RMM1995 wrote:

Hi I all i have a pajero io 1.8 maNual wheN i drive and hold untill between 3 and 4000rpm between changing gears i get a weird engine rattle and it also is worse when driving on highway doing around 110klm/h i seem too have to always be on and off with accelerator i cant hold it at a steady rev otherwise it is constantly rattling. It has 280,000klm on it and i use a 15w40 engine oil. Just wondering if anyone else has come across the same noise or have an idea of what it could be?

Your rattle could be oil starvation. Have you ever cleaned the internals after dropping your oil?

Claude io
Claude io's picture
rattle

Have you check the oil level ? Does it do it all the time or only when warm, cold, starting...?

You may have a big end bearing gone or a bad lifter. The first is like a lound knocking noise, the second noise is sharper.....

What is the ambient temperature where you are. 15w40 might be too thick as this oil is suitable for warm to hot weather, not suitable for cold weather.

Happy io

fordem
I'm going to guess exhaust related...

Bearing & lifter rattles are usually present at all engine speeds, rattles that are rpm dependent tend to be exhaust related.

Syndicate

Syndicate content

Translate This Site Into Your Language