2002 2.0 gdi oily spark plugs

26 replies [Last post]
Dulan
  • Online Status: Offline
I recently bought this pajero and the spark plugs all have oil over the threads and porcelain. Any one know where these are common to leak from?

peril787b
It will be leaking through

It will be leaking through the rocker cover gasket. Mine suffers the same issue on cylinders 3 and 4.

fordem
Not very likely on a GDI engine

peril787b wrote:

It will be leaking through the rocker cover gasket. Mine suffers the same issue on cylinders 3 and 4.

Do you have a GDI engine?  If you look closely you'll see the coil packs and plugs are surrounded by the intake manifold which passes through a space in the center of the rocker cover making it extremely unlikely that oil leaking from the rocker cover gasket will get into the plug tubes.

The cylinder head on a GDI engine is a two piece casting which "sandwiches" the camshafts - there is an elastomeric gasket (possibly neoprene) that seals the intake passages & plug tubes - that is where the leak is - replacing it is a fairly complex teardown.

peril787b
Sorry, I didn't explain

Sorry, I didn't explain clearly. Yes, mine is a GDI and is leaking from the plug tube seal, and yes it would be a nightmare to repair.

Dulan
That’s what I was fearing

That’s what I was fearing haha. I guess I’ll do the head gaskets when I’m going to do the timing belt in about 15000km. I’m thinking it can’t be too bad on a four cylinder

fordem
Do NOT touch the head gasket.

Dulan wrote:
That’s what I was fearing haha. I guess I’ll do the head gaskets when I’m going to do the timing belt in about 15000km. I’m thinking it can’t be too bad on a four cylinder

The head gasket is the one between the cylinder head and the block - you do not want to remove the head unless you have to, and, you don't need to to deal with the oily plugs.

Dulan
Okay, so I don’t need to do

Okay, so I don’t need to do the head gasket at the block just the “upper” head gasket which would be easier to identify if I knew the name. I am mechanically inclined, but very new to the gdi

fordem
#14 - beam camshaft cap gasket

Dulan
Awesome that is a perfect

Awesome that is a perfect breakdown

Jivonski
Jivonski's picture
  I had this problem recently

I had this problem recently and it was leaking from these babies, i bought a new set and changed them and the problem is gone

Guyana, South America - West Indies fever

had-z
Replace this one

I think you need to replace this one:

US $16.56 8%de DESCUENTO | 4G93 GDI B4184M de admisión y colector de escape piezas de motor junta del motor para MITSUBISHI SPACE STAR (DG_A) 1,8 GDI (DG5A) MD360457
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/4HHGHWcC

I don't know if is the same part number for 4g93 gdi and 4g94 gdi.

fordem
That links to intake & exhaust manifold gaskets

That link takes you to the intake & exhaust manifold gaskets.

The intake manifold gasket fits between the intake manifold and the "beam camshaft cap" which is the upper part of the cylinder head - there is no oil in that area to leak into the plug tubes..

The beam camshaft cap gasket has the same shape as the intake manifold gasket but it is made of a different material and is much thicker - it sits between the upper & lower sections of the cylinder head - if there is a leak at this point, oil can pass from the camcover area into the intake passages and the plug tubes.

had-z
Yeah, in this picture is

Yeah, in this picture is marked the part.

Before the replacement of that part i would check the pcv (much cheaper/easy to replace)

fordem
I just realized ...

had-z wrote:

Before the replacement of that part i would check the pcv (much cheaper/easy to replace)

I just realized that all the responses in this thread assumed the oil to be on the outer part of the plug and not the firing end - assuming that to be the case, there's no way the PCV valve could be the cause - because of the design of the PCV system used on the GDI engines, PCV issues can cause excessive oil consumption by allowing oil vapor into the intake and then into the combustion chamber, but not to the outer end of the plug.

One more thing - the gasket set shown is for the later GDI engines - make sure you get the one that matches your engine.  Early engines used a one piece cam cover with a space in between for the intake manifold and ignition coils, later production had separate covers for the intake & exhaust camshafts.

Dulan
The oil is definitely leaking

The oil is definitely leaking on top of the spark plug. How do I identify if I have an older or newer gdi?

fordem
Look at the rocker/cam cover

Look at the rocker/camshaft cover(s) - if it's a one piece casting like the one shown in my diagram above, that is an early GDI engine, if it's two separate pieces, it's a later GDI.

I don't know if the 2.0 4G94 GDI shipped with the early style one piece cover - it may not have.

had-z
I can help you with part number

I can help you with part number, if you want, send me your vin and i can tell you the exact part number you need to replace.

fordem
Or you can simply go to megazip or amayama ...

There are a number of japanese part retailers who have parts catalogues on their websites - megazip.net & amayama.com are the ones I've purchased from - you put in your VIN, and they'll take you to the parts catalogue for that vehicle.

You can then buy the parts from them or use the part number to search for alternate suppliers - genuine OEM parts can be quite pricey, things like gasket sets can be sourced from aftermarket suppliers at much more attractive prices.

had-z
Japanese VIN

I think amayama and megazip only accept japanese vin, i don't know in what country was fabricated the iO of the OP.

Dulan
Thanks! Those sites are super

Thanks! Those sites are super useful. Yes my car is a jdm.

I’ve got a couple questions for you. Do you know what the rpm at idle/ in gear at a stop is suppose to be? Mines idling at 200-300rpm and it runs real rough, if I bring It to 500-600 it runs like a top. Also if I were to adjust the idle how do I go about doing so?

I’m trying to find a timing belt kit and that’s becoming difficult. There’s a lot of single piece gaskets that I could order but I don’t want to miss one. Is there a kit you guys know of?

fordem
Where are you?

I think it would be a good idea to let us know where you are - it makes a difference when asking where to find parts.  Amayama & Megazip will ship worldwide, but, the shipping can sometimes be more than the cost of the part, and often aftermarkets kits can be less expensive.

Regarding idle speed, on the 1.8 it's about 650 rpm - I'm not certain what it is on the 2.0 - before trying to adjust it, I would suggest trying to find why it's low, maybe clean the throttle body as that is where it is set - again on a 1.8 -

Dulan
I’m in Canada, Alberta.

I’m in Canada, Alberta.

Funny story I was using one of those gdi spray cleaners to clean out the carbon and the only vacuum line I could pull off was a small one so it wouldn’t stall. So I had to use the straw with the can and it started to stall out the engine, created a lot of vacuum and sucked the straw into the intake. I can see it in the intake but I do have to take it apart to get at the straw

issuhh.b
issuhh.b's picture
Alberta

Hey fam I’m also in Alberta! Calgary to be more specific , was curious if you ended up figuring out your idle issue as the 2.0 io I just imported is currently doing the exact same thing! , I’m planning to pull it all apart and clean out the throttle body and all that fun stuff also change plugs and coils but was just curious if you’d found any other issues causing the idle issue

bee

Dulan
I ended up selling it, got

I ended up selling it, got tired of importing every part I needed for the car. I felt that the rough idle was coming from a master cylinder leak causing it to pull to much vacuum. I didn’t not get to diagnose it fully, but this was my next plan.

imraojal
Gasket

Dulan wrote:
I recently bought this pajero and the spark plugs all have oil over the threads and porcelain. Any one know where these are common to leak from?

I believe this is the part you are looking for. I have it with me. The original gasket for the camshaft 1015B006. Bought it for USD 30. I can mail it to you if you need. Though I am based in Kenya.

Dulan
Update

Well, I have not done the the gasket or timing belt yet. I’ve cleaned my throttle body and managed to get that straw straw out. Also unstuck my pcv.

Dulan
Next update

I’m done tearing the engine apart and started putting every thing back together.
I cleaned as much of the intake I could. (Leaving the head to the valves just wiped with rags as far as I could reach)
I could definitely see where the oil was leaking past that gasket into the spark plug hole.
Fun tip when putting the cam plate back on make sure the back cam cap and cam position sensor are fully seated before you torque the cam plate. I had the top in but not the bottom. You also don’t need to remove the timing belt backing plate just undo all the bolts and let it hang on the cam gears. You can weasel it out and back in with a little aggravation.

I’m trying to find a freeze plug heater but not having any luck. I’ll start another post about that.

Syndicate

Syndicate content

Translate This Site Into Your Language