2002 2.0L Auto Gear Box

10 replies [Last post]
simmo777
simmo777's picture
  • Online Status: Offline
Hi Forum,

Looking to service at home this weekend engine oil + filter, gear box and transfer case.

Confident with all except the Auto gear box!!

Has anyone serviced an auto gearbox? just want to drop and replace fluids, gathered that 7.2L of ATF Dextron II for gearbox will do the job but unsure about procedure... is it just empty and refill as engine oil and transfer case will be or is there any tips/tricks/special things need to look out for!

Thanks in advance

Simmo

2002 5dr Pajero IO QA 2.0L Auto - Lifted, Locked!! 1.925 Low Range - Muddies (205/80/16) - Redback Extractors to 200cell cat to dump at diff Exhaust 

Piotr
Piotr's picture
Be aware that you wilk never

Be aware that you wilk never drain all atf from auto gearbox, add the same amount which will drain, probably half of whatever is inside. Tranny will change gears way better than before. I couldn't belive how it improve gear switching when I dId it for the first time

I

had: Mercedes S124 300CE, Rover 75

have: Pinin, Lexus ES330,

want to have Mercedes W140 500

Claude io
Claude io's picture
gearbox auto

Not sure about the io auto gearbox but on some other car they have a filter to replace.

You should find what you need here      http://pajerio.com/forum/auto-transmission-manual

Happy io

Piotr
Piotr's picture
Even if there is a filter,

Even if there is a filter, you can just clean it, it's just a steel net which has to collect filings. At my lexus I dismounted filter and after cleaning it was shiny like new so i havn't replaced it. Each time I replace atf I got a filling that i bought i new car

had: Mercedes S124 300CE, Rover 75

have: Pinin, Lexus ES330,

want to have Mercedes W140 500

fordem
There's a procedure outlined in the service manual.

If you haven't already downloaded the manual, now would be a good time to do so - I believe the auto transmission is section 23 - it outlines a procedure to drain & flush the transmission that uses the transmission oil pump - essentially it goes like this...

Disconnect the transmission cooler line and direct it into a bucket - start & idle the engine for one minute or until fluid stops flowing (which ever happens first), and then remove the transmission drain plug & drain whatever fluid remains, refill the transmission, and then repeat the start & idle for one minute, and then reconnect the cooler line and refill the transmission again - this procedure gets out most of the fluid in the transmission, including the fluid in the torque converter - all that's left is what is trapped in the valve body, and the only way to get that out is a complete tear down.

There is a "filter" which Mitsubishi does not mention in the procedure, and as has been said before, it's a mesh screen, it can be washed and refitted, and if you're going to do that, the appropriate time would be after draining the pan.

The transmission is the AisinWarner AW4 - very popular on Jeeps, some Suzuki & Toyotas and also used on the full sized Pajeros, and it takes Dexron III or equivalent, I'm using Valvoline Dex/Merc in mine.

simmo777
simmo777's picture
Brilliant

Thanks for the heads up guys! Downloaded and printed manual, section 23 gives me great confidence in doing this at myself!! smiley

Questions though - 

1. step 4 says 'install drain plug via new gastket' can I just use a sealing agent and then torque to spec?
2. Newbie question I know, can someone point out the oil filler tube for us?
3. Is the square box the drain plug on contain the filter? I might just leave it in as I have heard you should replace gasket for that pan if taking it off, thoughts?

4. I will use Dexron III if thats ok, can you reccomend the best out of the top 3  below:

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Automatic_Transmission_Fluids/Premium_Mineral_Automatic_Transmission_Fluid/#.VJNSvl4AC

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Automatic_Transmission_Fluids/Multi_Vehicle_Automatic_Transmission_Fluid/#.VJNSyF4AA

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Automatic_Transmission_Fluids/Full_Synthetic_Multi_Vehicle_Automatic_Transmission_Fluid/#.VJNSy14AA

Thanks forum! I will be doing engine oil, transfer case and gearbox this weekend! Should be running like a new car as described haha!

2002 5dr Pajero IO QA 2.0L Auto - Lifted, Locked!! 1.925 Low Range - Muddies (205/80/16) - Redback Extractors to 200cell cat to dump at diff Exhaust 

simmo777
simmo777's picture
got the stuff

Got this stuff, attempting job tomorrow!! I'll keep ya posted.
http://imgur.com/X27QSUd

fordem
It's just a washer

The drain plug "sealing gasket" is just the usual rolled metal washer - I didn't replace mine - and yes, the filter is in the square box with the drain plug - if you're buying a filter, the gasket comes with the it, but the pan is a pain in the backside to remove - the dipstick/filler tube usually gives trouble to separate.

By the way  the pump is not required for the auto transmisson - a narrow funnel is what is needed - just stick it in the dipstick tube and pour.

simmo777
simmo777's picture
sweet

Thanks fordem, appreciate the advice!
I got pump for front diff and transfer case just to make it easier, a job for another time!!

Really keen to change the oil tomorrow! Hey when taking off the initial pipe to radiator, both ends or just closest end to radiator it doesn't matter aye as long as it drains?? Manual is a big help, will do auto filter another time .

fordem
I think I disconnected just the radiator end.

By the way - the front diff has two sections - the diff proper & the free wheel disconnect - each with it's own drain & fill plugs - make sure you get both, and make sure you open the fill plug before draining - this not only allows for a faster drain (because it allows air in), it also prevents a situation where you've drained the axle and can't refill it because you can't get the fill plug out.

simmo777
simmo777's picture
auto done

Done! Engine oil and filter regular 5k service and auto box fluid changed!!

She downshifts 110% better and changes without thuds or shudders, one very happy IO owner here ;)

Likewise to another auto post I saw on here, barely anything can out of the pan drain after running it dry from radiator end, but what came out was very dirty/black but NO metal shavings etc. Fresh oil is nice and red :)

Syndicate

Syndicate content

Translate This Site Into Your Language