2004 Pinin 1.8 mpi hesitation is throttle response

7 replies [Last post]
da1es
  • Online Status: Offline
hi, i have an issue where my throttle response is very eratic, start the engine and it will idle at 2k and run fine for a few miles then the idle drops and throttle response becomes hesitant, the best way to describe it is i press the accelerator and sometimes nothing happens for a few seconds and then it cuts in

ive had the throttle body off and cleaned it even though it was not badly coked, ive added some fuel cleaner, and had the fuel filter assembly out an the fuel filter is nice and clean

any ideas anyone, TPS/ IDLE SENSOR

many thanks in advance

Claude io
Claude io's picture
fuel filter

I am not sure on that one but from memory you cannot see if the fuel filter is clean just by looking at it.  The filter element is locked in his plastic surround and have to be cut to see the inside of it. 

Is your io auto or manual and are you in Australia ? When you say "cut in" does the engine stop ?, even when you drive ?

Happy io

da1es
Hi and thanks for reply, I'm

Hi and thanks for reply, I'm in uk, when I took the fuel filter out I followed the instructions I found from this site, mine was slightly different with a small square bag attached to the bottom of the fuel pump, I assumed that was the filter?
It doesn't stall it's as though the throttle doesn't work and then it does, it's more reliable when consistently accelerating, if that makes sense

Claude io
Claude io's picture
fuel filter

The square bit at the bottom is like a pre filter, it only stop the bigger size dirt. In Bob do it yourself thread you can see the actual filter cut in 2 to show the inside of it. 

http://pajerio.com/forum/diy-replace-tank-fuel-filter

I have heard of similar problem but I do not remember the fix....I am sure someone will follow this up....Bob, Fordem ?

Happy io

da1es
hi thanks again, re read that

hi thanks again, re read that post and looked at the pics better, just taken the fuel filter assembly out again, never realised the filter was the black bit at the top attached to the filter housing, i'll try source one of these for now, and watch here with baited breath

cheers

Claude io
Claude io's picture
fuel filter

Yes, easy to not see that this is the filter. Even if it doesn't fixed your pb, having a clean filter is not a bad thing.

Happy io

da1es
still problems

ok so this is still ongoing, i replaced the fuel filter with a new one, ive just had it down to a local garage who has tested the TPS and says thats working fine, he suggests taking it to a main dealer, any more thoughts before i go down this route

cheers

da1es
a little bit more info, the

a little bit more info, the local garage discovered that if you disconnect the air flow sensor then the engine runs and revs as it should plug it back in and its eratic again, all tests on everything shows that everything is working fine, and no fault code leading to air flow sensor, just thinking may try a second hand part just to check it out

any thoughts

i even drove home with the air flow sensor disconnected and it was fine (for now)

cheers

Syndicate

Syndicate content

Translate This Site Into Your Language