4wd gear stick jammed. 1999 Pajero iO 1.8

23 replies [Last post]
melodies
  • Online Status: Offline
Hello,

Recently took car to the beach and through the sand dunes. The next day the 4wd gear stick was jammed, unable to change gear. The dash lights show the top 2 green lights illuminated and the other 3 not. What does this mean? I recently bought the car off an old chap and he very rarely used it for 4wd, could it be stuck due to little use? 144000k

I have tried reversing and going foward again to change gear to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Claude io
Claude io's picture
stuck 4x4 gear lever

Welcome to the forum,

It could be several thing that unable you to move the transfer case lever. A common fault is the bush at the bottom of the transfer case lever at the worse you could have a dead transfer case (less likely but sadly not impossible). 

For the light....again it could be several thing but faulty switches on the transfer case, is also a common problem. Have you seen the lower light "on" before ?

Where are you located ?

Happy io

melodies
Hey cheers man,   Yea I am

Hey cheers man,

Yea I am not sure if I had seen the bottom two lights on, have just purchased the car. I am located in Perth. I read some things on this site - http://4wd.blogeasy.com/article.view.run?articleID=318776   that could be worth a try. Just thought I would post here in case someone else had experienced something similar.

Hopefully it isn't anything serious. Maybe I will try a few things and if no luck get it looked at.

Thanks again

fordem
If the shift lever is jammed

then nothing in that blog will help in any way - that is all about fixing the flashing lights - if the lever is jammed then the problem is either in the transfer case or the shift mechanism itself.

Keith65
Keith65's picture
I have never had the rear

I have never had the rear wheel lights ever light up and everything works fine, I am changing all my dash light to blue probably tomorrow so I will see if the bulb is blown and if they work after the bulbs replaced and let you know. I would say it is only the bulbs as they would be on all the time from new and only have a certain life span.

fordem
The rear "wheel" lights ...

are not actually on all of the time - they are controlled by the "smart select" controller, which is mounted under the driver's seat (RHD cars) - they go out during the shift from 4HLc to 4LLc.  The most likely cause of a failure would be the bulb, but wiring & switch failures are also a possibility, and so is controller failure.

Keith65
Keith65's picture
I will check the bulb today

I will check the bulb today as I am unable to do anything else at the moment because I pulled my back out 3 days ago and can hardly walk and in heaps of pain.

My poor girl is up on stands at the moment waiting for the front wheel bearings to go on so I can't drive it anyway. I will have to wait for my back to get better before I attempt to do them.

melodies
I have been reading through

I have been reading through this forum: http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=104471&postdays=0&postorder=...

Even though it is a different model I thought I would give it a go. I removed the centre console and removed the plate so I could access the bottom of the transfer leaver. At the bottom of the leaver there is a rubber seal and I can feel something in there that moves, not sure if this is the pin that gets mentioned on that other forum.

Sprayed some WD40 into the seal to try and loosen it but to no avail. If anyone has any other ideas, would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Claude io
Claude io's picture
lever

Sorry, not sure what you mean, or what seal....did you removed the lever or still trying to remove it ?

Happy io

GuyG
blown rwd lights

Mine had blown rear drive lights when I got it - easy fix to get the dash cluster out and replace them. yes

fordem
Where exactly is it stuck?

There are four possible positions - 2H - all the way back; 4H - one "click" forward from 2H, 4HLc - left and forward from 4H; 4LLc - down, left & forward from 4HLc.

How much "side play" is there in the lever?  If there is more than say 5~6mm, that would indicate that the shifter bush has disintegrated, and that is the most likely cause of the problem - you'll have to remove the lever to verify the condition of the bush, remove what's left of it, replace it, and reassemble.

You could also try pulling the lever all the way to the right and then pulling it back.

melodies
Yea there is a little "side

Yea there is a little "side play" in  the lever I would say more than 5-6mm, so maybe the shifter I bush is busted. I am having trouble removing the leaver, I have removed the centre console and the plate that had 6 screws in it, and as the leaver goes down there is a rubber ball type thing which is sealed around it.

I am not sure what to do from here, below it there are 3 screws, 1 of which I am unable to get to with the screwdriver. I am unable to remove that rubber part, it feels like there is something that moves inside it tho. From underneath the car near where the gear stick and rubber ball go into, there are 4 bolts which I think may need to come off?

Will get pics later, my phone isn't working at the moment. Any help would be great.

thanks

Claude io
Claude io's picture
lever

The 3 screw are the one you need to remove. Instead of using a screw driver from the inside (I am only guessing that you do that from the inside!!) of the car go under the car and use a spanner or maybe even an articulated spanner. Once out you should be able to see if that bush is worn out or not. 

Happy io

melodies
Great thanks Claude and

Great thanks Claude and everyone else. I am able to get one of the screws free very easily, another is extremely tight I might need an electric drill and the other is in a position that is impossible to get with the screw driver I have from above or underneath so will have to find a smaller handled one.

Will give it a crack today hopefully.

Thanks again

melodies
Hey guys have been away, but

Hey guys have been away, but here is an update. I managed to get it all off and of course the bush was in many pieces. Cleaned it out and got the mess out of it and then I have just bought a new bush from mitsubishi, hopefully it is the right one.

I have a few pics here as I am still not 100% sure of the next steps.

http://postimg.org/image/pllumx1rl/

http://postimg.org/image/ip0gc725v/

http://postimg.org/image/w63g732vv/

As you can see, the plate that the 3 bolts hold in place seemed like it had some material or seal around it which has come off, the chunky part I can kind of peel off. Some is on on the inside (the first pic) and some has stayed on the plate. Not sure if this is going to be a problem, the guy at mitsubishi didn't think it was a part and that if I used sand paper to make it flush it should be ok. Thoughts?

In the third pic with the bush, does the bush just slot straight in and kind of sit on the pin that goes across, and then the rubber ring on top?  I would have thought that because the bush has holes in the sides that the steel pin in pic would maybe slot through those holes, but that pin is very tight and I don't know how I could get it on.

Thanks for the help once again and apologies for my lack of mechanical aptitude. Feel like I am making some progress.

fordem
You have to take the pin out

Punch the pin out, slip the bush over the lever and replace the pin - you'll need to figure out which side of the bush is up.  I'm not certain what "rubber ring" you're referring to, as my car didn't have one, but I suspect it may fit under the shift lever assembly - as there is a "cover" shown there in the parts manual.

melodies
Ok great thanks mate will

Ok great thanks mate will give that a go. Yea the black rubber part in the 3rd pic, pretty sure that just slips in once the bush is in. Still not sure about that stuff that is on the plate, guess I'll just srape it off and see what happens.

Cheers again

fordem
The "stuff" on the plate is a sealant.

Assuming that the plate you're referring to is the shifter gate (it limits the movement of the shift lever - Mitsubishi calls it a "stopper" plate - there should be a paper gasket, both above & below it, and both sides of both gaskets should be coated with RTV sealant.

You can find the details in the manual transmission section of the service manual.

melodies
y

Hey thanks for the help, I managed to get that bit sorted and got the new bush and pin back in. Now for the reinstalling phase. Inside the section where the transfer leaver will changed 4wd mode there is a thick silver pin that can be pressed to the right like a button. Next to it there is a little slot, where I seem to be able to slot the transfer leaver back into. Just making sure this is the right spot or if there was something else I had to do because once it slots in I need to apply a bit of pressure to twist the lever so the plates match up with the 3 holes for the bolts.

I know in another thread I believe you mentioned a hex plug to the right of the transfer case. There is one pretty much below one of the 3 bolts on the right, do I need to remove this?

Thanks yet again for your help and apologies for my lack of a mechanical mind, so close now.

Claude io
Claude io's picture
well done

Well done to get that far. You can fit it without doing anything about the silver pin but my experience is that it is much easier if it is not in the way.

That pin is spring loaded and to remove the tension, yes you need to undo the bolt that is on the outside (17 mm ?). I would advise to try to fit the lever without any sealant first to see how it goes. If you cannot move it once fitted, it is because you haven't done it properly...it may take a couple of try...of course once you understand and get it right you will have to do it again with sealant.

Happy io

Steino
4wd gear stick jammed. 1999 Pajero iO 1.8

Ahoy Lads & Ladettes,

I've just become the owner of a 2000 iO over the weekend, mine is a 3 door, manual, with the no-frills 4G18. I too have this issue and I realise that this is an old post but wanted to know if this had been resolved or if there's any other thread covering this? I'm starting to take stuff apart and tidy it up to get a roadworthy so I'm making a list of what needs to be done and this is near the top. Car drives fine, but is jammed in 2H - any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Claude io
Claude io's picture
gear

Yes, "Melodies" as you can read above, fixed his stuck gear lever, yours could probably be the same problem.

Welcome to the forum

Happy io

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
stuck gear lever

typically the bush starts to degrade and debris clogs the "up-down" detent section of the stick.

easy fix is undo the 3 bolts holding the stick into the box and remove the stick upwards through the cabin.

you can then wd40 etc spray and clean out the mechanism inside and work it to get it smooth - then re-install

Steino
Stuck gear Lever

Yep, WD40 and a clean out did the trick. I also have the dash light issue as well. Thanks for the heads up.

Syndicate

Syndicate content

Translate This Site Into Your Language