Claude's io/ 2002 ZR/ Built thread only...happy io!

211 replies [Last post]
fordem
  • Online Status: Online
I understand the dilemma Claude.

I've been looking at winches for a while - mostly on the US market - which like the Australian market, has an abundance of chinese made product.

For those of us where the winch is more of an "insurance policy" than a necessity, price is going to be a key consideration, sometimes taking precedence to winch capacity or "pulling power" - I've seen Hiluxes fitted with 4500lb ATV winches - looks ridiculous, but, on a double line, single layer pull they will deliver 9000lb - more than enough for a Hilux in most situations you'll find here.

Many of the lower priced winches run the same motor across several winches, depending on gearing to achieve the rated power, so the winches are physically similar in size and weight (without the cable), but as the rating goes up, the line speed goes down.  The other largely ignored issue is the weight of the cable - higher capacity winches require a higher rated cable, thicker and heavier (for the same length), and no, it's not as simple as removing that heavy steel cable & replacing it with synthetic rope - where is the winch brake - on the lower cost winches, it's typically in the drum - it gets hot and heat damages the cable.

I'm probably going to end up with a SmittyBilt 9500 - $299 + tax - now if I could just find it on sale.

Claude io
Claude io's picture
  • Online Status: Offline
Front strut

I have try a few different set up at the front suspension , adjustable plate, spacer, kingspring....I found that if you start to have the front wheel lifted from the ground doing some 4x4 that on some occasion the landing would kill the bump stop, fully compressed the strut as the original spring are on the soft side. What I also found is the car is bouncing a fair bit and dipping under heavy breaking. I have try to get some koni insert but I would have to make a custom body strut to fit it. 

So, my last test was a new set of KYB334405 with the kingspring KMFS900, yes exactly what I wrote to not to do here http://pajerio.com/forum/kingspring-and-kyb-mix

This set up is a big NO NO as you do not have any more droop. So I added some strut extender and I used some old rear bump stop that I drilled throught to fit on the strut. I am not a fan of these extender so I have/do checked them regularely and they haven't moved. 

I do not have anymore problem when "landing" as the strut no longer get fully compressed, the ride is a bit firmer but very acceptable, handling is the best I had and I haven't got any problem with my CV. The adjustable plate have been removed for the time being. This set up have been tested for 15 000kms and done 1000 km on Fraser Island....so far ALL GOOD 

Happy io

Claude io
Claude io's picture
Last mod !

Last mod, I made the body a bit bigger, fitted a 4 litre V6 engine with auto gear box, plenty of electronic and here is my new toy......

My io is now SOLD...

The new toy...10/2013,  31000km.....

simmo777
simmo777's picture
A sad day!

Good bye Claude you will be missed! Still want to catch up next time you are in Queensland buddy :) 

A lot of good IO history came from your input to the forums, cheers for that! And thanks for the multiple spare parts from your wreck that came in handy.

And just remember if you plan to take your new FJ Cruiser off road BRING AN IO WITH YOU! For when you get stuck... ;)

2002 5dr Pajero IO QA 2.0L Auto - Lifted, Locked!! 1.925 Low Range - Muddies (205/80/16) - Redback Extractors to 200cell cat to dump at diff Exhaust 

MadMax
MadMax's picture
Nice new 4x4, Hope you enjoy

Nice new 4x4, Hope you enjoy it as much as you enjoyed your iO.

And Simon is right, always keep an iO close you never know, nice pic Simon BTW

I live my life a 1/4 mile at the time

Claude io
Claude io's picture
thanks

Thanks,

I will stay around the forum for a while....and, yes I hope that the FJ will build some good memories as well. The io was a great experience and had made me discover some amazing places and also this forum.

As for the picture, it is not what it look like, my guess is that the FJ is pulling Simon to do the water crossing, all in reverse as he was a bit scare :) We all know that it is not true but !!!

I have fitted the FJ with UHF, bought the snorkel, mud tyres are bought (33 inch KM2 285/75/16) and will be fitted on a set of spare rim (GU patrol steel rim), as for suspension a lift will be done but there is that many different brand and set, it not funny and a bit hard to choose !!

Happy io                                      

Claude io
Claude io's picture
not io related

Not io related but I am getting there to set up my FJ....I am really loving it, very capable truck. Here it is as Monkey Gum fire trail, Yalwal.

Mine is the good looking one, kind of before and after !

Happy io, FJ !

simmo777
simmo777's picture
FJ

Really starting to look the part Claude! Great to see you taking it out and using it as a 4x4!

I remember our lease car FJ stock with all terrains and what it could do, I bet you're having a ball with just a few mods here and there.

keep us updated!

2002 5dr Pajero IO QA 2.0L Auto - Lifted, Locked!! 1.925 Low Range - Muddies (205/80/16) - Redback Extractors to 200cell cat to dump at diff Exhaust 

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Hey Claude what happened to

Hey Claude what happened to all my comments on here ???
Anyway how are you enjoying the new car ?

Claude io
Claude io's picture
new FJ

Not sure about your comments, I don't remember seing them....The FJ is surprising me on how capable it is. Monkey Gum is a rather difficult track, my io was doing it but was border line on some section, the FJ is just crawling there nice and mostly easy....I am very happy. I was a bit concern to have some regret selling the io but the FJ is doing what I want and a lot more....so far so good and great way to move on ! Thanks

Happy io

Claude io
Claude io's picture
video

I just found this old video, not sure if I have posted it before. It is a water crossing where the car did float for a very short time, not easy to see....around 1min38s.

Happy io 

https://youtu.be/Uq2ZR7Kc_T8

Syndicate

Syndicate content

Translate This Site Into Your Language