DIY - How to install 1:1.925 low range gears

65 replies [Last post]
bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
  • Online Status: Offline
The Pajero Io transfer box comes with a low range gear ratio of 1:1.54 which is quite high for a low range. It is possible to retro-fit earlier model full-size pajero transfer gears to reduce this to something more usable. There are lots of posts discussing this however none puerly about this conversion, some of the photos are from others who have stripped their transfer boxes down before.

This is not a difficult or hard job but requires a level of confidence and basic ability.

Two easy gear set options are the 1:1.94 low range from some Gen1 pajero's and the 1:1.925 from some Gen 2's. Both will fit inside the pajero io transfer case without modification to the case housing. The 1:1.94  ratio gears require more work to fit them so I used the 1:1.925 gearset. All details below will refer to the 1:1.925 gears, the 1.94 gears require a slightly different and more complex aproach. super low ratio sets from marks adapters can be fitted (1:2.8 etc) but require the housing to be cut away and re-built up with weld.

------------------

The 1.925 gears are found in V5MT1 transfer boxes, typically found in 3.0L V6 Gen 2 pajero's. If you have a manual Io you need gears from a manual Gen2, if you have an auto you need gears from an auto Gen 2. This is because the auto transfer box has a different input gear spline compared to the manual boxes.

The two gears you need are the transfer box input gear and the transferbox low range lay-gear. both are within the front housing of the transfer box. The 1.925 low range cluster has the same output gear as the io box so only the input side needs to be changed - this makes the stripdown of the transferbox minimal.

1) transfer box input gear.
It is held in the front of the transfer box face plate by a circlip and has a bearing on it:
You need the complete gear + bearing (which is pressed onto it) it will have 16 teeth

2) Low range side (idler) gear
These sit on a side shaft in the front of the transfer box - are a single gear with two gears cut into it
21 teeth on one end and 15 teeth on the other

The gears I have were generously given to me by "M1s3ry" on the pajero club of victoria forum.

Check the condition of the input gear bearing - if it needs replacing you will need a new bearing as the io bearing will not fit onto the Gen2 gearshaft - luckily mine was OK to re-use.

Removing the Gearbox
Follow the steps in the manual to remove the gearbox - if you have a manual gearbox you can ignore the step to disconnect the exhaust as this was not necessary with my manual gearbox. Manual 22D is the main file to reference for manual transmissions - it also shows how to strip the Gen2 box to find gears.

The gearbox / transfer box balances on the transmission mounts - put your trolley jack underneath there and it will be a lot easier.
Both shifters need to come off - both of mine needed a tap with a screwdriver from underneath to break the silicon seal and get them loose.
Both tailshafts can come off as well - if you have chosen not to drain the oil leave the tailshafts in the box to maintain the oilseals.

You can get onto all of the bellhousing bolts with a good 14mm socket, a heap of 1/2" drive extension bars and uni-joint except one. It is located under the starter motor bolt and faces the engine mount outrigger. I found a socket and ratchet could be slipped onto the bolt once the front tailshaft was removed and with some timber packing around the rachet head stopped it slipping off the bolt head. Pass a piece of timber down next to the strut tower next to the inlet manifold and press onto the end of the ratchet handle to loosen. Others have used articulated ratchet ring spanners.

IF ANY BOLTS ARE TOO TIGHT TO UNDO - USE A HEAT GUN TO WARM THAT POINT ON THE BELHOUSING - DO NOT USE AN OXY FLAME.

Many of my bolts were siezed and needed a heat gun to warm up the alloy housing for them to release - be careful of melting wiring/clutch hoses etc.

With the box out you might want to replace your clutch and rear main seal while you have the chance.

I have put the shifters back on as I was about to wash the box down.

Seperate the transfer box
Now that the gearbox is out you need to seperate the transfer box.

Carefuly drive out the roll pin that secures the gearshift locator, you will likely want to re-use this so don't damage the pin - I used a 5.5mm punch to get it out. Placing a rag underneath it as you punch will prevent the pin popping out and disapearing down into your gearbox.

now unbolt the transfer box from the gearbox - there are some lugs that allow a large screwdriver or crowbar to help ease the boxes appart - never lever off the actual machined mounting faces in case you damage them.

Once the dowel pins are clear you can carefuly pull the boxes apart - the gearshift rod will remain attached to the gearbox and passes through the transfer box via a small O-seal, be gentle and ensure no excessive side load is placed on the shifter rod.

Strip down the transfer box

with the boxes seperated unbolt the 5 bolts that secure the front cover to the transfer case. As before lever only on the lugs and not on the actual machined mounting faces. 

Due to the transfer box shift interlock being held in the front cover you will need to attach the transfer shifter and shift gently from 2H through to 4Low and back to 2H to allow the cover to come off - it needed some tapping and gentle levering to break the silicon seal with mine.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE FRONT COVER WITHOUT REFITTING THE SHIFT LEVER FIRST
if you pull the front cover off without the lever in place the shift rods can pull out of the shift area and damage (ruin) the interlock pegs and springs - i've just done this and it is bad :(

The gears will need to turn slightly to seperate so the cover may become jammed about 30mm out. The laygear shaft needs to detach from the front cover - it is only sitting in a socket so you may need to wiggle and tilt the cover to allow the shaft to detach.

Once free you should have a cover that looks like this

Now the fun begins!

Start with the front cover:

To remove the input gear use a set of heavy duto 90deg circlip pliers and remove the circlip. The circlip might not come all the way off but it needs to be removed from the groove it is locked in. You can now gently tap the input spline with a piece of wood etc to ease the bearing clear of the front cover and seperate the gear assembly fully - Do not force and be careful with the oil seal.

I bought a cheap set of pliers from Bunnings and really struggled to get the circlip out - spend the money and get a good pair! DON'T USE PLIERS LIKE THIS

With the input gear off clean up the sealing flange on the cover and put it to one side. DO NOT PUT THE NEW GEAR BACK IN.

here are the standard Io input gears and the Gen 2 gears: Io are on the Left

You can see that the syncro shift lock on the io is not a full ring, this does not appear to affect the operation - also the input shaft is longer on the io however the oil seal lips appear to be in the same position - time will tell if this is a problem.

The gears I inserted had a worn groove on the oilseal lip - hopefully this does not affect the operation too badly!

Now for the lay gear - this is tricky:

* Shift the box very gently into 4Low - the shift ring will now half come off the main gear - DO NOT LET IT COME OFF FULLY

* Grip the laygear shaft with your fingers and pull the shaft out of the laygear - the laygear will now be loose in the box.

* Gently draw the laygear forward and lean it over so the larger end can clear the shift ring and allow the gear to exit the case

you will have the following items once removed - clean and inspect for wear and replace where required

Take note here- the dimples in the thrust washers ALWAYS face against the laygear, their flat sides are against the case.

The lay gears from the io and gen2 are below: Io on the right - note the larger input side and identical output side - the 1:1.94 gears have a different output side and need the output and shift mechanism to be stripped down - way too much work for 0.02 difference!

Re-assemble the transfer box

This is quite tricky as the larger input gear side makes assembly different - you can trial fit the lay gear into the case and sand back any high points on the inside of the case that contacts the gear - I spent about 30minutes cleaning up the area - easiest way is to place the gear in and let it scratch the inside of the case when it rotates - this will identify the areas that need sanding. 

* go and place the entire new input gear including bearing and circlip etc in the freezer for a minimum of 30 minutes to shrink it.

* While this is happening scrape all the silicone off the transfer box front cover and clean the mateing surface with some mild sandpapaer and a scotchbrite pad and turps - do not damage the oilseals

* lift and mount the transfer box vertically with the open end facing up and secure firmly - i placed this on my bench and clamped the lug next to the spedo pickup firmly in my vice.

* clean the mating surface of the case as above with the cover.

* Place the lower thrust washer into the bottom of the case - use a slight smear of grease on it's flat site to help it stick to the case - align the flat of the hole with the flat deeper in the box. dimples should be facing you.

* grease the inside lip of the input gear oil seal in the front cover - I used a GP marinegrease

* retrieve the bearing from the freezer and place on your bench.

Now work fast as the bearing will be warming up and expanding!

* using Loctite Blue max or equivalent product run a fine continuous bead around the center of the front cover mating flange making sure you encircle all dowels and all bolt holes

* Lower the laygear halfway into the gearcase and once the smaller gear has cleared the shift fork lean it over away from the shift fork, now with your other hand place the cold input gear into the shift fork and seat it onto the output gears - you can now lean the laygear back upright and lower into the case. make sure the circlip is on the input gear and the two "O" holes are facing the shifter opening

* by looking fown the center of the laygear move the lower thrust washer back into the correct position using a screwdriver tip etc before loading the bearings and spacer back inside the laygear (bearing-spacer-bearing)

* Now slide the laygear shaft back into the laygear and press it down fully ensuring it seats fully and is aligned with the case

* place the front thrust washer onto the laygear shaft with the dimples facing the laygear

* Shift the transfer into 2H

* pick up the front cover and make sure the little interlock peg is sitting in the tunnel between the two holes - it tends to drop down and foul one of the holes fully and will cause the front cover to not close up by about 10mm.

* gently put the front cover onto the box allowing the input gear to gently push through the oil seal and bolt it shut - 25FtLbs torque on the bolts - you may need to wiggle the shift lever to get it in past the interlock. Be careful not to damage the wet silicon seal!

* Quickly swing the transfer case down flat onto the bench so the shifter hole is facing upwards.

* push the input gear fully into the bearing seat and clip the circlip into the retaining ring by putting your pliers through the shift hole - ensure it has fully snapped in place.

That's it!

move the gears by hand and shift down into 4Low to ensure all gears move smoothly and nothing is scraping etc thn shift back to 2H and rotate gears by hand again.

now you only need to re-attach the transfer box to the gearbox ensuring the shift rod passes gently through the oil seals and the shifter locator is attached the correct way around - gently drive the spring roll pin back in (with a rag underneath the pin) and reference the special note in manual 22D regarding the orientation of the spring clip

Job Done! cool

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
Another set of 1.925 gears

Looks like there might be another set of gears available, am confirming. Let me know if you are interested and serious about fitting them.

GO-R
GO-R's picture
Well done on the step by step

Well done on the step by step instructons.

I am interested in installing a lower set of gears.

Have you noticed a large difference between these rations.  Obviosly it is not as low as the big 4wd's (Patrol, Landcruiser) but does it impove you crawling power by much?

Cheers

Glendon

1999 Pajero iO named Rex

245/75R16 Trail Digger, 2" KYB and King Spring Lift, 50mm Front Shock Spacers, 25mm Diff Drop Spacers, 50mm Rear Spring Spacers, Rear Hilux Shocks, Upgraded Pan Hard Rod, Bull Bar, Roof Racks and Winch.

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
Crawling power

Yes, big difference, feels like an entire gear lower! 1st low is now 1/4 walking pace on idle.

well worth the hassle by a long shot, massive thanks to the vic paj club forum and the greek paj forum!

Glen
Glen's picture
Nice write up Bob! thanks for

Nice write up Bob! thanks for taking the time to post it!.

I also busted the pin off the end of the same bunnings pliers as those! lol. Still managed, But i agree, get some good tools!

Im off to the garage to have a look at doing the swap myself. I have the 1.94 set. Will post a couple more pics of the extra work involved to install these IF i end up doing it and dont just go grab a 1.92 set like you.

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
Circlip

The input gear circlip is hardcore! I had a g-clamp squeezing my pliers so I could lever with screwdrivers. The io input gear is larger in diameter and obscures the plier tips, luckily the replacement gear is smaller and easier to work around.

Claude io
Claude io's picture
transfer case mod

Well done....yes  That make me want to do mine....if someone have an unwanted manual transfer case or know where to get one...let me know :)

Nice spanner...lol....I bought several BIG circlips tools just for these circlips, some are what they call "Flattened Steel Wire Retaining Ring" ...just not fun if you don't have the proper tool....

Did you put a new clutch kit ??

Happy low gearing io :)

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
Clutch

Yes, new rear main, new clutch, new high-level breathers and new slotted& drilled rotors and pads. The 1.925 gears was the easy bit!

Glen
Glen's picture
I wish i pulled that one from

I wish i pulled that one from the wreckers Claude! such a waste, its now been crushed. 

I pulled mine apart today, the old housings a little trashed, but i think its OK, ill clean it up tomorrow and rebuild it with the 1.94 gears, actually no i wont, needs a few new bearings. Anyone got a good supply for bearings?

either way youll have a housing soon enough mate! :)

Claude io
Claude io's picture
new clutch

Bob, what clutch kit did you put in ? Mine shouldn't last much longer...that will save me some research !

Glen...ho...ho...ho !  I found one T/C in Sydney, he wanted $800 +freight telling me that they are rare, I replied that the buyer for these are even rarer, and he just lost one ! $800, what a joke !

If you have the bearing number, let me know, I will get some prices....

Happy io

Glen
Glen's picture
$800!, can buy an entire iO

$800!, can buy an entire iO off ebay for that

I think it needs ALL new bearings, looks like it ran dry for a while! The gears all look OK, but it might not even be wize to use the TX at all. Ill clean it up, have a closer look then decide,

Since your asking about clutches, Ill rudely but in too:)  I bought an upgrade clutch, http://www.xtremeclutch.com.au/en/ KMI22012-1A  for mine a while ago, I have still have not installed it, but its almost un driveable now., so time to stick it in! It has a 30% greater clamping force (600kg) & comes with spigot bearing and alignment tool.

While your doing your research, i did find a site listing all the part numbers or the pressure plates, disc and spigot bearings separately and saw that one of the tritons was the same minus the spigot bearing. There were upgrade clutches for the triton, so i was going to ask them to mix and match for me. But I cant remember or find that website now. may not be needed? but i did and do plan on dropping a turbo into mine one of these days. But my plan lists growing much faster than my do list these days :)

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
HD clutch - no way

Glen wrote:

Since your asking about clutches, Ill rudely but in too:)  I bought an upgrade clutch, http://www.xtremeclutch.com.au/en/ KMI22012-1A  for mine a while ago, I have still have not installed it, but its almost un driveable now., so time to stick it in! It has a 30% greater clamping force (600kg) & comes with spigot bearing and alignment tool.

Ah noooo!!!!!

i never upgrade my clutch - it is the "safety valve" in my drive line - if something goes wrong i.e. full throttle and a wheel gets locked in a rock I want the clutch to slip rather than a uni or CV (or much worse) to go bang.

added clamping force on the clutch just reduces the safety margin and puts more strain on other items should you stall out - in any case unless you are towing massive loads you should be spinning wheels long before your clutch slips (unless you are smoking your clutch from over-slipping it)

Glen
Glen's picture
CV smashing Clutch power

bob_oz wrote:

Ah noooo!!!!!

i never upgrade my clutch - it is the "safety valve" in my drive line - if something goes wrong i.e. full throttle and a wheel gets locked in a rock I want the clutch to slip rather than a uni or CV (or much worse) to go bang.

added clamping force on the clutch just reduces the safety margin and puts more strain on other items should you stall out - in any case unless you are towing massive loads you should be spinning wheels long before your clutch slips (unless you are smoking your clutch from over-slipping it)

Good thinking Bob!, not a bad idea.  But im yet to have a stock clutch hold up to the mods I do. I have no idea what the iO is like normally, Mine has been slipping since i bought it, amazed it lasted until now. Im guessing it was on the way out. 

There is more risk to the gbox, but we are running effectively the same gbox as the older pajeros with their 2.6 motors with big heavly flywheels and much larger clutches with better holding power. CVs are only at more risk in low gears, and even an old slipping clutch in low range 1st does a good job of not slipping, im pretty sure youll be able to smash ya CVs with any clutch :). its the higher gears / road use I mostly wanted the extra holding power for.. nailing it with full boost in 4th just to have your clutch burn away is annoying. 

Claude io
Claude io's picture
HD clutch

Glen wrote:

I think it needs ALL new bearings, looks like it ran dry for a while! The gears all look OK, but it might not even be wize to use the TX at all. Ill clean it up, have a closer look then decide,

While your doing your research, i did find a site listing all the part numbers or the pressure plates, disc and spigot bearings separately and saw that one of the tritons was the same minus the spigot bearing. There were upgrade clutches for the triton, so i was going to ask them to mix and match for me. But I cant remember or find that website now. may not be needed? but i did and do plan on dropping a turbo into mine one of these days. But my plan lists growing much faster than my do list these days :)

This is the clutch that I have ordered....I hope that it will fit my car.....did you install it  ?

Exedy is way cheaper but have only a much lighter disc plate.... see http://pajerio.com/forum/exedy-clutch

From the picture it does look similar to the original one.

Happy io

Glen
Glen's picture
Clutch

Claude io wrote:

Glen wrote:

This is the clutch that I have ordered....I hope that it will fit my car.....did you install it  ?

Exedy is way cheaper but have only a much lighter disc plate.... see http://pajerio.com/forum/exedy-clutch

From the picture it does look similar to the original one.

Happy io

No i still have not managed to even get the clutch in! LOL
Im hoping it will go straight into a new Black iO that needs a new clutch insteadwink 
Not sure what ill do with my old iO if i do, Not sure its worth the effort to get it ready to sell?

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
$800

nah - you could buy a io for that but it would be shagged.

around half the cost was tools or sundaries anyway - just looked over reciepts below:

$220ish for the clutch kit from Exedy
$90ish for the rear main and sealant for trans box
$250ish for the disks and pads and tools
$90ish in sundaries (oils/sealants/high-level breather hoses and fittings)
$110ish in tools (new sockets / wrenches/heatgun etc)

Keith65
Keith65's picture
If anyone lives in Brisbane

If anyone lives in Brisbane go to Baileys Brake And Clutch at Bundamba, I got my rotors and pads from there really cheap and they are very competetive with pricing.

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Why is it not possible to do

Why is it not possible to do the gear change with the box and transfer case in ???

Claude io
Claude io's picture
Because

Because the gear to be replaced are on the side that bolt to the gearbox.

Happy io

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
lower low range

correct - 

you need to open the transfer box case on the side that faces the gearbox - the retaining bolts for this are in the cavity that is bolted shut between the gearbox and transfer box 
(Red and Green gears for the 1:1.925)

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Ok I should have asked right

Ok I should have asked right the 1st time, can I leave the box in and only take off the transfer case ?

Keith65
Keith65's picture
The gearbox place down the

The gearbox place down the road has done it so I might need to go and find out from them (If They Are Willing To Tell).

Claude io
Claude io's picture
transfer case removal

The transfer case is heavy and it can be a bit hard to line it up one of the shaft (and not putting the weight of the T/C on it), but yes it can be done.

Happy io

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Thats what trolley jacks are

Thats what trolley jacks are for, it would be easier for a 1 person job to leave the box in ( i think anyway ), and just being careful would be the main thing here.

I should get the other transfer case today so I will pull it apart and have a look at it. It is out of a Gen2 95mod. It was giving to me which was a huge bonus.

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
transfer box

trying to pull the transfer box off the gearbox with gearbox fitted is plain crazy!!!

the shifters pass through the transfer and the C pin needs precision alignment - hard enough with both boxes out, let alone with the gearbox still fitted.

drop the lot out and do it properly.

if you're chasing gen2 parts - what engine and gearbox did it have? many of the gen2 boxes don't have good parts for the io

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Ok so what your saying now

Ok so what your saying now after reading all of these comments about changing the low ratio is that the Gen2 pajero 95mod low ratio gear is not compatible now when it says on previous comments that they are ?? 

Would you guy's make up your mind.

It came out of a V6 manual 95model. 

So many experts on here but no-one willing to put money on it.

Compatable or Not.

Pinin on the rocks
Pinin on the rocks's picture
The compatible Pajero is

The compatible Pajero is Gen1, not Gen2

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Two easy gear set options are

Two easy gear set options are the 1:1.94 low range from some Gen1 pajero's and the 1:1.925 from some Gen 2's. Both will fit inside the pajero io transfer case without modification to the case housing. The 1:1.94  ratio gears require more work to fit them so I used the 1:1.925 gearset. All details below will refer to the 1:1.925 gears, the 1.94 gears require a slightly different and more complex aproach. super low ratio sets from marks adapters can be fitted (1:2.8 etc) but require the housing to be cut away and re-built up with weld.

So is this right or not ???

Keith65
Keith65's picture
This is from the very start

This is from the very start of the thread.

So as it says in the info above both Gen1 and Gen2 will fit depending on the ratio of the gear ??

Please atleast some-one get it right b4 I atempt to do it.

better still I might just go and ask a expert on this b4 some-one on here totaly stuffs me up.

Pinin on the rocks
I'm not sure i understand yr

I'm not sure i understand yr attitude, excuse us for providing you with information, better go find an expert and please accept our deepest apologies for not serving you with the best of our knowledge.

angry

Keith65
Keith65's picture
I haven't got an

I haven't got an attitude.

The info being provided is very helpful and I appreciate it very much But now it is conflicting with what was said earlier in the post's. The info on here says that some gen1 and gen2 will fit. So I get myself a Gen2 1.92 ratio and now being told that it's not going to go in ?? So I am sure you can understand my frustration.

I might pull the gears out of the Gen2 and measure them and then find the measurements some where ( i think they are on a previous comment ) and compare what I have in this one here.

fordem
You may not think so...

But that's how you're coming across - and I could quote your posts to get make my point ...

The strength of these forums (this one and others like it) is the wealth of collective experience - so yes, everyone is an expert - but only on what worked for them - which doesn't mean it will work for you - some of us have found that our cars are different.

Yes - it's frustrating when you find the information in the different threads conflicting, but that is because the threads are written by different people - that was how the "strut data" thread came about.  I was frustrated, so I grabbed a camera and a measuring tape, and with the help of the other forum members, documented what was available - I've personally examined a dozen or so iOs and never seen a "high pan" strut, but I'm not saying they don't exist,

The guys here have provided me/you/us with a wealth of information - consider it a tip, and then follow it to see if it works for you.

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Alright so instead of getting

Alright so instead of getting pissed at me read thru this thread from the top and tell me that Bob doesn't say that he has put the gears from a Gen2 - 1.925 gears into a transfer case and it worked, he evens go on to tell everyone on how to do it (which is very helpful) and even puts in pics on how to do. 

So I go and get a set of the same gears from the same type Gen2 and now being told that No the won't fit so please forgive me for getting frustrated when being told 2 different things and not knowing which one is correct.

Bob please answer this queastion : did you put a set of gears from a Gen2 V6 manual Pajero into a Pajero iO box (Only the Low Range Gears) ???

Read from the very top and tell me that I am wrong, I am not stupit and can also read. An in no way saying that you are but maybe you haven't read something that has been put on here or have missed it. I really don't know.

But tell me have you tried to do this and it hasen't worked out ??? If it worked for bob and You then I am willing to give it a go.

The reason I am on here is to find out if I can ? If not then I am not going to waste my time trying to do it or even defend myself on here because of info that doesn't match up with others info.

SO it not about my attitude it is about getting the right information the 1st time round so I don't stuff up my car.

I respect your info and others but when it conflicts I need to find out which one is right.

Keith65
Keith65's picture
I don't know where this High

I don't know where this High Pan Strut thing is coming from but I have no interest in doing struts and even haven't thought about doing them so you might have me mixed up with some one else. I have no intention on lifting up my iO.

Keith65
Keith65's picture
So yes I am confused.

So yes I am confused.

Pinin on the rocks
I have been on an offroad

I have been on an offroad trip this weekend and just returned, i will provide you with any information and details i have available during the day, in the meantime bare in mind that this is not a standard and well known procedure, nor there is any mitsubishi provided information about it. Not being cocky or anything but i was the one that found out such an upgrade could be done after lot of experimenting and try-fail procedures AND ENDLESS RESEARCH. That doesn;t mean i have in my hand every possible model information for all countries and all variables but surely some necessary basic info, i am not a world spare parts dealer!

In the meantime, in which country are you in and do h have a VIN available form the car from which you have the TC?

fordem
It was an example.

kf65 wrote:

I don't know where this High Pan Strut thing is coming from but I have no interest in doing struts and even haven't thought about doing them so you might have me mixed up with some one else. I have no intention on lifting up my iO.

I'm not mixing you up with anyone else - in fact, it's hard to do that since you're the only one griping - It was an example of the conflicting information that can be found on this forum, and a suggestion of how to deal with it - do what I did - if you have an issue with the misinformation, then how about you be the one to track down what's accurate and post it.

By the way - if you think you have no intention of lifting your iO, I'd say, think again - you're probably going to need the increased ground clearance long before you need the lower gears you're asking about.

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Don't think so, I am happy

Don't think so, I am happy with the way it is thank you. Just very interested in the lower gear option.

And who the hell is griping as you put it. I just want to know if the 1.925 low ratio gears will go into my transfer case and by the way I am from Brisbane, Aust.

I am just trying to trust the info that is being put up on this site.

Keith65
Keith65's picture
And honestly go back to the

And honestly go back to the beginning of this thread and tell me if I have the information wrong. I.E: Bob has installed a set of 1.925 Gen 2 manual low range gears into a 1999 1.8lt manual iO ?? 

I will admit it if I have read it wrong or misunderstoud the info provided.

fordem
GRIPE !!!!

kf65 wrote:

Please atleast some-one get it right b4 I atempt to do it.

better still I might just go and ask a expert on this b4 some-one on here totaly stuffs me up.

fordem
GRIPE!!

kf65 wrote:

Would you guy's make up your mind.

So many experts on here but no-one willing to put money on it.

fordem
Do you see what I'm talking about now???

I don't think there's anyone here claiming to be an expert.

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Stuff me , I am only pointing

Stuff me , I am only pointing something out about what has been put on here and want to know if what Bob has put up is correct. (And I believe it is). Where is the griping ????

Trust me if I wanted to grip about something you would be able to tell.

Instead of coming back and bashing my comments go and read the thread from where Bob gives Ratio's and How To Do with pics.

Instead of bashing my comments I believe you still haven't answered my earlier question, have you done this to your car and did it work out alright ??

fordem
At this time ...

I have no interest in a lower low ratio, so, no, I have not tried it - however - I have read the thread in it's entirety and am aware of the conflicting information.

I am also aware, having been a user of forums such as these for many years that conflicting information is to be expected when dealing with "collective experience", and have long recognized that the only time you're going to get a guarantee is when you pay for it.

Would you like me to give you a money back guarantee that the gears will fit?  Send me $1000, I'll give you a written guarantee, and if they don't fit, I'll give you the $1000 back - you'll still be out of pocket the cost of the gears.  If the seller of the gears guarantees they'll fit, then he gives you that money back, not me, not us.

That's how forums work - we share our experiences - you get them at no cost to you, and they come with no guarantees...

Claude io
Claude io's picture
hum...

I fully understand your position, trust me. I have spend some good money and time on modification that didn't work out.  If you buy a Landcruiser, you get every possible mod under the sky (Landcruiser and plenty of other 4x4) . With the Pajero io, you won't find much and you will struggle to find good help. I have done a few mods and being frustrated is part of the game. If you choose to do more modification, and I hope you do and share them, sometime frustation will come and play with you again. The power of this forum is mainly from user like you by confirming or not what other have found.  

Happy io

Pinin on the rocks
The Pinin/Io and GEN pajero

The Pinin/Io and GEN pajero idler countershaft gear looks like this:

The Gen2/3/4 idler countershaft looks like this:

So it is easy to know them apart if you have access to seeing them, the one has a hole for the shaft to install and the other has the shaft merged into the gear.

To my knowledge only Gen1 has compatible and interchangable gears with the Pinin, our friend who claimed to have installed Gen2 gears maybe was wrong. Other old models also have compatible gears like L300 and L200 but i understand that they are rare in Australia.

Hope that helps!

Claude io
Claude io's picture
gear difference

With this info, it should save him (KF65) to pull apart the T/C from the io if he doesn't have the proper gear. 

I think Bob got his gear from a Pajero forum, showing some picture of what he wanted, and not from a gear box itself....that maybe where the mistake was done. This is if mistake was done as you said model are different from one place to another.

I hope that KF65 or even Bob will clarify this.

Thanks

Happy io

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Ok, I have a couple of things

Ok, I have a couple of things to say here.

Thank You To: Claude IO, Fordem and Pinin On The Rocks.

I am so sorry if what I was replying back with was coming as having an attitude but I didn't. I was getting frustrated because of the info at the very top of this post from Bob_Oz and that he had fiited these to his box ( with pics and instructions )and all of a sudden you guys came back and said that no they won't fit. 

Now I have more pics (and thank you so much) so when i pull this transfer case down I should be able to tell what gears I have to play with and if I can put in and if they are suitable to do so.

Thanks So Much. Keith ... (kf65).

Pinin on the rocks
Do u have automatic or manual

Do u have automatic or manual transmission?

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Manual.

Manual.

Claude io
Claude io's picture
where is...

Where is booyah Bob to help us clear this up...smiley

Pinin on the Rock....I will be removing my T∕C in the next few month too, what are your thought about removing it without removing the gearbox ?

Thanks

Happy io

Syndicate

Syndicate content

Translate This Site Into Your Language