DIY - How to install 1:1.925 low range gears

65 replies [Last post]
Pinin on the rocks
Pinin on the rocks's picture
  • Online Status: Offline
There is another way to check

There is another way to check if the gears are compatible without having to open a transfer case, by the input gear:

Pinin and Pajero Gen1 manual input gear has 24 tooth spline 26.5mm diameter

Gen2/3/4 manual input gear has 27 tooth spline 29.6mm diameter

All automatic have 23 tooth spline 31.3mm diameter

Hope that's expert enough info smileyyes

Here is the difference between manual and automatic input gear of Pinin/Paj Gen1: 

As far as removing, all the times i removed the TC i removed it from the gearbox, no need to drop everything down... but thta's just to anyone's preffered way/time/space/effort/help etc.

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
Is Bob_Oz on crack - or not?

Hi guys,

ok - low range transfer mods confirmed based on my 2.0L io - which matched the 1.8L greek pinin's

There are two gearsets that are a drop-in replacement (with insignificant mods required) into the io boxes as seen in australia (and likely elsewhere in the world).

1:1.944 - these are found exclusivly in GEN 1 pajero's - NFI what engines ran these as I wasn't interested in them as detailed further down.
1:1.925 - these are found in late Gen 1 and early gen 2's from the V5MT1 transferbox normally behind the 3.0L V6 ONLY - not the 3.5 or any deisel models released in australia.

I have only messed around with the 1:1.925 sets for a very good reason: they only require the input and lay gear to be replaced as the output gear is the same as the io - the 1:1.944 need the transfer box output gear also changed and that is more effort etc and digging into the bowels of my transfer box would only increase the risk of me making it hate me more, not to mention they are rarer and older.

SO - if you want to source some gears you need to remember the following:
1:1.925 is easier to drop in due to only needing 2 instead of 3 gears
1:1.925 sets can be picked up from any of the millions of dead gen 2's running a 3.0L v6 motor which are practically worthless and always blow up
1:1.925 input gear sets are SPECIFIC TO AUTO OR MANUAL i.e.: if you have an auto you need the gears from a doner auto transfer case and vice-versa.
1:1.925 transforms your io into a hill-destroying beast! - cannot encourage people to do this mod more!!!!

WARNING
* if you have a 1.6L io to some research before doing this as it's likely different.
* use a website like "auto-parts.spb.ru/cat/mi/mi2.mycat" to check the specific part number of the gears in a 2.0L io 1.8L io and a 1.6L io etc are same if you are worried at all.
* remember that the gears you are installing will be second hand - so the KMS on the doner box will impact the quality and check them for damage or you'll end up mucking around with oil seals like i did and having potential input bearing noise - but muddies will drown out that.
* dont forget that auto io needs gears from an auto paj and vice-versa.
* before buying gears get a photo of them and do a visual tooth number check.
* don't bother filling with clean oil after the mod, use the old oil as you need to drop and replace the oil within a week of the new gears to clear the scraped off rust and aloy from the new gears - thrashing it in low range helps wear the box to clear the gears. My oil was new after the gears and was filthy and ruined within a week - has been crystal clear ever since

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Hi Guy's, how's things ?  Ok

Hi Guy's, how's things ? 

Ok i pulled the low gear out of the transferbox and was wondering if they are the right ones, low gear has 15/21 teeth. Yet to pull the input gear out. I have included a couple of pics ..

themis
themis's picture

Front end rear locker 6"lift tyre 7,5-16 long arm 

lantimant
  Hi Guys! I've been reading

Hi Guys!

I've been reading for a long time all about the convertations 1,548 to 1,925. But I never seen an explanation for my doubt..   What the Dfference between Input Gears MD732598 (L300/Delica) to MD731636 (L200 old). 

Numbers of teeth: ring teeth and gear teeth.. tall of neck, number of grooves of them .. All of them are indicate to Manul Transmition 24 grooves?

Thanx you all!

lantimant
Thanos, Claude or Tribolas, any on knows?

Thanos, Claude or Tribolas, any on knows? 

Claude io
Claude io's picture

Sorry, no idea ....

Happy io

Rhys
Rhys's picture
swb & lwb same?

Hey guys. can you help me?
does anyone know if the transfer case from a swb will be the same as the one in the normal lwb?
I broke mine :( and it looks like its going to be cheaper to replace it with a second hand one than get it fixed.
Thanks.

siknuts

Claude io
Claude io's picture
Transfer case

The transfer case in a Pajero io 4 doors is the same as the Pajero io 2 doors. I think that the 1.8 and 2 litre are the same, but auto and manual have different transfer case.

Happy io

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Hi Guy's, it's been a while

Hi Guy's, it's been a while but I thought i would add some more info on here about doing the 1.925 low ratio in our iO's. 

I have just recently done it about 1 week ago and is way better than the 1.54. Even tho I have only done a quick test offroad so far everything seems fine and no problems but I did rectify the problem with the seal from the gearbox sitting on the input gear a little bit different to Bob-oz.

Bob ended up doing a speedy sleeve and I did look into this option and the price was a bit too much for me ($60) and was told to only use this option as a last resort as the speedy sleeve not done properly will end up stuffing up and will need to pull the box out again to rectify the problem so I looked around for other options and ended up putting a 2mm spacer behind the backing plate and seal to push the seal further down the shaft of the input gear and it has worked out good so far.

It cost me $2 for the spacer which ended up being a c-clip like what holds the input gear in the housing, it was 70mm wide so had to sqeeze it in a bit and it held in well but I used silicon to hold it better and let it set overnight. then put the very thin backing plate back in and then the new seal and also silicon on that to give it a better hold as it was sitting 2mm further out of it's casing and didn't want it popping out at a later date. I did have 2mm to play with as there was a 2mm gap between the 2 seals facing each other (1 from the transfer and the other from the gearbox) and now they are butting up against each other which is fine and won't do any damage or cause problems later.

I took a couple of pics that I will put up on here. 

It was a bit tricky putting it back together but wasn't hard just took some concentration and a couple of practice runs before applying the silicon to the face of it. But all in all I did take my time with it (2 weeks) I would not have been able to do it without everyones input and info on how to do it from on here so thank you to all the people that had input and the information that has been put up on here.

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Hey Bob I ended up putting

Hey Bob I ended up putting the input gear in 1st with clip on the front plate and wriggle the front plate on with input already in and didn't have to worry about trying to put the clip on afterwards, you just have to put the front plate on a bit of a angle when trying to put it in over the lay gear the twist it around just a fraction but there is only about 1mm to play with but you don't need to worry about trying to put the clip in after. Little bit of playing with 4wdrive lever also but it works.

Claude io
Claude io's picture
clips

Keith65 wrote:

Hey Bob I ended up putting the input gear in 1st with clip on the front plate and wriggle the front plate on with input already in and didn't have to worry about trying to put the clip on afterwards, you just have to put the front plate on a bit of a angle when trying to put it in over the lay gear the twist it around just a fraction but there is only about 1mm to play with but you don't need to worry about trying to put the clip in after. Little bit of playing with 4wdrive lever also but it works.

I done the same as you, it is another good way of doing it.

Weldone for your new gearing yes

Happy io

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Latest update for low gear,

Latest update for low gear, absolutely loving it and not a single problem as yet.

To the question a bit further up about the amount on teeth on the auto gears Simmo might have an answer on that one as we did his at my place in the garage and he has his old gears as he keep them just incase.

Now I need to do another one on the other iO i have bought, fun times ahead, lol.

Anyone around Brisbane area wanting it done I am willing to help out for a small fee as long as you can get hold of the parts and bring your car to my place as that is where all my tools are.

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Also just a quick question,

Also just a quick question, can I buy just the bush that goes on the bottom of the low gear selector as mine has shit itself and i had to take the complete gear shift  out of the other car ?

isilva
Im looking for the low gears

Im looking for the low gears here in Brazil ... any V5MT1 gearbox will match the low gear 1.925?

Syndicate

Syndicate content

Translate This Site Into Your Language