Greetings from the Philippines!-’99 iO GDI, check engine, 2-3k Rev Limit

4 replies [Last post]
STK
  • Online Status: Offline
Hope everyone is having a good day and it’s great to see this group active and passionate about their beloved iOs! I’m hoping to get some expert/experienced advice on our current predicament

Situation:

A month ago, our iO stalled and wouldn’t start. Attempts were made to re-start it but most attempts failed. At times it would start as if everything was normal but would die out or vibrate after a few seconds with the CHECK ENGINE light flickering. We had to tow our poor iO home and got it checked by a mechanic a few days after.

Evaluation:

-idle was unstable, engine vibrates and stalls.

-oil leaking was observed near the crank

-check engine light continues to flicker

-timing belt needs to be replaced

Measures done so far:

-coil packs checked and tested, spark plugs tested and replaced

-battery disconnected/reconnected to reset

-throttle body removed, cleaned, sensor checked (our guess was that it’s fine)

-air flow sensor checked

-computer box checked

-fuel pump assembly checked

-accelerator pedal assembly checked, along with sensor

*our best guess so far is that the TPS in the gas pedal assembly is faulty.

Current situation:

-Engine now starts (one-click), idle seems more stable

-REV however is limited to 2-3k only, check engine light still flickers

Dillema:

-our iO was bought as a used Japanese Surplus- iOs were not released locally in the Philippines

-therefore even after searching in numerous surplus parts shop, we couldn’t find a used TPS, especially a brand new one.

-no similar MITSU locally released models (lancers, galants)  with same/compatible TPS for electronic throttle assembly, I was told that variants released here were cable type not electronic.

-NOTE: our iO was converted to LHD, for some reason, we have not found the exact location of the OBD port. It’s either due to us not really being experienced enough or wirings/ports may have been relocated during conversion. We are currently trying to find the OBD port with the help of some very helpful iO owners I saw/met on facebook along with some other useful and helpful advice. I believe (he, one of them) might also be a member here.

*we are now scouting for good prices and a reliable source for a TPS sensor and other parts that could reliably ship overseas. Our iO has been faithful and good for 6 years given its age (with us not being the first owners). We hope to get it up and running with the help of other iO brothers here.

Thank you very much and hopeful to hear advice from here and call our attention to anything we might have missed. Good day!

had-z
Hi, ask someone to check the
Hi, ask someone to check the wiring (re-solder the cables), that is a common problem in "transformed" cars with electronic TPS.

The OBD connector should be hidden behind the little box located next to the air controls. 
STK
Thank you for the advice! The

Thank you for the advice! The mechanic had already done some soldering of wires. (I guess I forgot to indicate that in the list, my bad). The wire clusters soldered were from both (driver and passenger) sides. They used to be just taped.

I'll try to post some photos in the next post for better reference.

Still need to double check and find the obd port, the fact that it's been converted to LHD add additional challenge.

Would also appreciate if anyone knows the part number for the sensor attached to the gas pedal (electronic throttle) assembly as well as referrals to a reliable and fair parts source that could ship overseas.

*1999 GDI, 1.8 4G93 IO

Thank you very much.

had-z
Part number

MR578865

Amayama, megazip Genuine. ebay for alternative (cheap) parts

STK
Thank you very very much for

Thank you very very much for this HAD-Z, will look them up online. Appreciate it.

Syndicate

Syndicate content

Translate This Site Into Your Language