transmission oil change 2002 io 2.0

6 replies [Last post]
Kilotango
  • Online Status: Offline
Hi there,

i a trying to change the oil in the transmission 2002 man 2.0l qa, i have taken out the gear stick so i can pour it straight in there only to not being able to find the drain plug.. underneath the box is a flat plate held on by about 12 or so scres with a large bolt in the center. i belive it is the one but i have tried removing it with some force but doesnt seem to budge.. is the a right or left handed thread does anyone know? is this the right plug? if anyone cal call me or message me my number is 0422130652 australian number..

cheers thanks for help guys

natsterrr
natsterrr's picture
Filler hole

There is a drain hole on the bottom and yes it will be tight - use a good ring spanner with an extra breaker bar for leverage, mabe a piece of steel pipe which slides over the other end of the spanner. It is a standard 'right handed' thread.

The fill hole is on the back end of the gearbox. You need to get a cheap oil pump from supercheap which is like an oversized hand soap pump with some clear hose.

You need to fill the transmission up with vehicle level until the oil is at the level of the filler hole.

Before you attempt any of this it wouldn't hurt to get a copy of the workshop manual from the resources section of this website. It also has detailed info about correct oil grades to use. The gearbox oil is different to the diffs for example.

What parts do you need to get it roadworthy?

Size is not important; it's how you use it that matters!

Kilotango
oil change

Hey there, cheers i will do it first u in the morning :) for roady my forth gear grinds so looking at another box and case..if anyone has one let me know its a pain trying to find a 2002 2.0l box...

cheers again

enjoy

Claude io
Claude io's picture
gear box for the 2 litre

I had to visit a local wrecker and I asked him to find a transfer case or a complete gearbox from a 2 litre io....he can get a complete gearbox (won't separate) for .....$2300 !!!

No thanks !!!

Have you check if the 1.8 litre does fit ??

Fix your avatar :)

Happy io

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
F*CKN STOP!!!!!!! gearbox filler!

no no no!!!!

f#ck stop - you have the wrong fill point!!!

gearbox :

filled via a hole with a 17mm plug located on the side of the gearbox next to the exhaust - I shove some rubber hose into the hole and poke the hose up past the exhaust headers into the engine bay and gravity feed into the box from there

drain is via the big 24mm plug in the center of the flat pannel under the gearbox.

Tip: stick the rear on ramps or up on a brick so that the gearbox is more level - it naturally sits down at the back when bolted into an io.

Transfer box:

filled EITHER via a fill hole at the back of the box facing rear-wards near the underneath of the transfer lever with a 24mm plug OR you can pour gear oil into the GEARBOX shifter hole (not the transfer shifter hole).

(the gearbox shifter is actually mounted in the top of the transfer box cavity, not the gearbox cavity)

Drain plug is at the bottom of the chain-drive case and is another 24mm plug rear-facing.

note: you do pool some oil in the low-range housing in the transfer box which you can only drain by disassembly - frequent oil changes are needed and if you contaminate the oil you will need to run a couple of sacrificial oil fills to help clear out the debris - none of the bolts etc drain the lower gear section)

Bob

Claude io
Claude io's picture
fill point and level

While not the best fill point I don't think that it is wrong....but definitely a wrong level point. The level have to be done using the side plug, but the car need to be leveled, not with jack up wheel....

Happy io

natsterrr
natsterrr's picture
Oops!

Sorry guys, I think I was picturing the transfer case in my head when describing it.

In any case, the manual has plenty of info and pics to show how it should be done.

Size is not important; it's how you use it that matters!

Syndicate

Syndicate content

Translate This Site Into Your Language