205/80/16 Any feedback / pics

11 replies [Last post]
koos990
  • Online Status: Offline
Hi All.

Does anyone have a picture of a 205's on a standard rim. I am concerned the wheels would look narrow on the rim (body).

I have found a 205/80/16 on an Outlander rim (http://www.pajerio.com/forum/daniels-io). This look good but the standard rim is with less offset thus my concern for the standard rim with 205's relative to the body panels. I do not want a wheel sitting far in the body, this just looks UGLY. I know a wheel spacer is also an option to correct this.

Any feedback regarding this size: visual looks, wear and road manners would be appreciated. I have the higher strut pan thus the OD should not be a problem

Daniel
Daniel's picture
i have desert duelers in

i have desert duelers in 205/80 as you may already know.
in my experience whilst they are very good i think next time i would go a little wider just for a little more stability, though this may also be due to running high tyre pressures. this into account i still think 225/75R16 would be a beeter choice. or 235/70R16 if you can find a pattern you like.

CHECK OUT MY BUILD  VVV
http://www.pajerio.com/forum/daniels-io

koos990
Thanks for the reply. When

Thanks for the reply.

When you say stability, this is a big concerrn for me. Is this an issue at high speed or more around corners slow speed?

I do travel long distances at times and my speed is around 120km/h / 75mph. Can you "safely" travel at these speeds?

Have you ever considered fitting wheel spacer to see if this corrects the stability (to widen the tyre track). I would imagine that wheel spacers would only help if you experience the unstability at higher speeds, the spacers should not help a lot around corners..??

Daniel
Daniel's picture
mainly at just high speeds. i

mainly at just high speeds. i think it is related more to high tyre pressures though. check with natsterr too coz he has 205/80 aswell im pretty sure

CHECK OUT MY BUILD  VVV

natsterrr
natsterrr's picture
Mine are on 7" wide wheels

I have those tyres on 7" wide Mazda tribute alloys, and I've found them to be fine. No stability issues, they are good off road and on the sand. Mine are mud terrain - federal couragia.

At the moment I've got my stock rims on with Bridgestone dueller A/Ts in 215/65R16, which gives me slightly better fuel economy.

Size is not important; it's how you use it that matters!

koos990
205 / 80 / 16 FITTED !!!!! I

205 / 80 / 16 FITTED !!!!!

I am super happy. I have fitted my very first Mud Terrains in 205/80/16 on stock rims. I feel like a small kid with with his very first mountain bike with those big knobbly tyres...

Note I think I have the higher OEM strut pan (2002 2.0L RSA model - think same as Austrialian model?). Thus no mods to the strut pan to accomodate bigger tyres.

Power:

Personally I think 205/80/16 is as big as the IO can handle. The pwer is less, 5th especially for up hills.  BUT

In town it does not feel different and in fact it feels much better for me. With stock tyres I found myself shifting to 2nd very quickly and in general a lot of shifting. I think the IO is much better geared now (for town at least).

As mentioned the 5th gear is more dead and if you tow you would be finding yourselve drving in 4th I would imagine. But at least in 5th the revs sits now below 4000 at 120kmh (75mph) and as long as you do not mind loosing speed up hills you could be saving fuel..??? not sure about this I will check this with a fine eye.

I plan a trip to Lesotho in about 2 weeks (about 5 000 km in total).

Safety:

And note I found the tyres very stable. It is maybe 2% less stable but I think this is due to the Mut terrains rather than the more narrow size.

I took the IO to 90mph and I was very happy and it felt safe and same as with stock 215/65/16 tyres.

Just a side note I think many have a lift together with bigger wheels (205/80/16) It could be with a lift (camber more positive) + more narrow tyres the car is unstable.

My mods prior to fitting 205/80/16 = 45mm Lift all round and at the front I have a Camber correction, thus my Camber is same as stock.

see http://www.pajerio.com/forum/max-lift-disagreement-camber-correction-droop for info on camber correction.

Off Road:

Firstly the gorund clearance is HUGE. For the first time I am satified with the the IO !!!!  The gorund clearance is much better than I expected. I took on a really bad off road trail 2 days ago and i have done this trail about 2 years back with a Colt (Triton) Bakkie (Pick Up) 3L v6 with diff lock. I was touching the underside less with the IO than with the Colt. So for me this is a huge advantage and I know now my IO is ready for any 4x4 trail as the Colt was pretty good. Thus the lift from the bigger wheels is a HUGE Plus.

The traction from these MT's is so good !!! these MT's just grip on any terrain. And again the same trail was easier with the IO due to better traction i believe (Colt had BF's AT). But I did got stuck twice due to no diff lock at the rear, but after a different line I was good again.

The way I see it a lighter IO does not need diff lock at the rear espesially with Mud terrains as then it would just be too easy for us.

Very satified.....And worth every penny I would say.

Conclusion:

205/80/16 is not unstable for me (camber correction). I have tested these uoto 90mph with no ill effect. and considering the 205/80/16 is cheaper than the wider tyres this is worth considering. Also in RSA the 205/80/16 is very much available since this is the stock size for Land Rover Disco 1.

The pics below does not give the full affect with the amount of lift. It is really much higher now !!

215/65/16 (Stock) - with 45mm lift (camber correction)

205/80/16 - with 45mm lift (camber correction)

205/80/16 - with 45mm lift (camber correction)

In action with 205/80/16

Daniel
Daniel's picture
nice mate. looks to have a

nice mate. looks to have a good stance now. the stock tyres look far too small...
what are the tyres you ended up buiying if you dont mind me asking?

CHECK OUT MY BUILD  VVV

koos990
Kumho KL71 They are a

Kumho KL71

They are a directional tyres. Thus do not buy one for your spare. I have a normal AT (205/80/16, must be same OD size) for my spare which can either me used for left or right. The directional thing is also not a big problem either, they say it is just more noisy when turned around. Thus it could be used the wrong way for emergencies

I must also note the noise is not that bad, I expected way more. It is more noticeble at 60kmh - 80kmh. Above 80 they becomes quiet again. And I have driven in 4x4 with MT's which is way more noisy. This is also the advantage about the directional pattern, it is quieter than other MT's.

fordem
Don't let them mislead you ...

koos990 wrote:

Kumho KL71

The directional thing is also not a big problem either, they say it is just more noisy when turned around. Thus it could be used the wrong way for emergencies

Directional tires are directional because of the tread pattern, reverse the direction of rotation and you run the risk of losing traction - ESPECIALLY ON A WET ROAD - in extreme cases, the vehicle will "aquaplane".  Yes, you can use them the wrong way around in an emergency, but do so with caution - MTs on wet asphalt have little adhesion, reversing the direction of rotation just makes it worse.

Claude io
Claude io's picture
Well done... You wrote "

Well done...

You wrote

" 205/80/16 is not unstable for me (camber correction). I have tested these uoto 90mph with no ill effect. "

Do you mean 90 mph or km/h, I am a bit surprised that a lifted car with bigger tyres drive the same than a stock car....this said directional tyres have some disadvantages but have the advantage to be handling better...

Happy io

koos990
90 mph is correct, ie +- 140

90 mph is correct, ie +- 140 kmh.

I am not sure about the 3 door IO. i would imagine the 3 door would be unstable with these big narrow tyres. I am very surprised at how well they handle for my 5 door IO. Yes you must be carefull in the wet and braking etc.

The only time they are more unstable than stock tyres and stock suspension is in cross winds. But this could be many factors not only the tyres as I lifted my IO together with the bigger tyres thus I think the higher COG with cross wind all together is to be blamed.

I found the IO at stock anyway not very stable in cross winds at high speeds. Thus I am not surprised as I lifted my IO in total with 70mm thus the crosswind would have a negative affect.

SOFME
SOFME's picture
Dunlop Grandtrek AT2, sized

Dunlop Grandtrek AT2, sized 205/80R16. no lift., no rubbing anywhere, even fits in the factory spare mount.

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.

Syndicate

Syndicate content

Translate This Site Into Your Language