4G93 Engine Swap into 1999 Pajero iO (1.8L)

2 replies [Last post]
samuel1992
samuel1992's picture
  • Online Status: Offline
Hi all,

I have a 1999 Pajero iO with the factory iO 4G93 motor (1.8) in it. It has developed a bottom end knock so I have a purchased another motor to swap into it.

The motor I am swapping into it is a 4G93 SOHC motor from a 2002 CE lancer (which is a east to west setup in this car). I have heard from a few sources that in order to make this work I will have to swap the iO head onto the block of the new motor so it fits correctly, can anyone confirm this? If so, is the head a direct bolt on? Will I need to fabricate anything? etc. the reason I'm asking is so I can get the motor prepared so I can drop it straight in and make things easier for myself :)

I've attached some photos of the new motor (only picked it up for $200!)

If there's anything else I need to do as well, please feel free to let me know, I want to get this motor in as soon as I can. Thanks all you legends!

1999 Pajero iO, 5 Speed Manual, 28" A/T's, 2" Dobinsons Lift Kit

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
mounts

I commented online about this -

i know a workshop has done it before - no details however

i just looked at the block - looks like it doesn't have enough holes for the mounts. - looks like 2 per side whereas the io looks like 4 per side

a5asn8
east west

i got a ce lancer 4g93 block and as Bob said there isnt enough mount holes but it doesnt end there. 

- there is sensors that the lancer block doesnt have

-bottom radiator hose doesnt match at all. 

my advice if its just a bottom end knock put new engine bearings in the io bottom end and source some new oil pump gears and oil pressure valve for it.

or in the case of our io we stuffed the io crank so we raiding the lancer 4g93 block for the crank and oil pump as they both look the same.

*edit 25/09/18*

quick update as finally doing something about getting our io back on road.

#2 big end bearing starved of oil and got that hot it welding itself to the crank. crank is stuffed, the bearing is welded/infused itself with the conrod and cant be reused.

ce lancer engine -

crankshaft is the same

pistons are the same

conrods appear to be the same other than io being stamped with a "p" and lancer with an "e" 100% the same height and the only thing i didnt look at was if the pins are the same size as i swapped all 4 pistons and rods into our io block,

oil pump assy is the same

hope this helps someone in the future.

Syndicate

Syndicate content

Translate This Site Into Your Language