Grip Max Tyres - 215/65/16 - AT's

5 replies [Last post]
madcat501
  • Online Status: Offline
Hi Guys,

I'm only new around these parts so please forgive the "noob-ness" of my post.

I know you guys are all into mods and stuff, but I have found some tyres that seem to be new (Please correct me if I'm wrong) and seem to be the stock size for my IO. They are on ebay at this stage (australia), however they are from a dealer in south brisbane that usually stocks them for the same price all the time. For $130 a corner (plus 15 bucks fitting if needed), you can get these on your stock pajero.  What has dawn my attention to them is that they are AT's.

I was wondering if any one here has seen them at all or knows if they are any good?

Im looking at having them on a second set of rims so I can swap between my road tyres and my off road tyres.

Link to ebay is:    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121093036929?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Cheers

Shane (Shano)

Brisbane Australia

Pajero IO - Chocka Blocka Stocka Standard - Auto Gearbox - 1999 Model - I love it!

Mainly Beach Driving - Bribie Island

Claude io
Claude io's picture
tyres

Welcome to the forum.

First, there is NOTHING wrong at keeping your car as stock as you want. It is a great little car as it is. For these tyres, I don't know them and I cannot tell you if they are good or bad. Considering the price they might be worth giving them a go.

Again, I understand that stock is fine, getting these tyres on another set of wheel seems, to me, a lot of storage, and a lot of swap over ....for the same size tyres. If you get some 215/70/16 (around 5 mm lift) or even 225/70/16 (around 10 mm lift) in AT BFG, they are 100% legal ( In ACT at least, check for your area) they are good on road, great on dirt and they last very well, and you won't need another set of wheels....I know, they are not cheap...

For the speedo, check with a gps, and you will find that the 215/65 give a wrong reading of around 3% under (speedo say 100 while you really do 97)

The 215/70 should give you a perfect reading, while the 225/70 should be over around 3%. These are estimate, and my finding on my car, you or other, may found differently.

Happy io

madcat501
Hi Claude, Thanks for the

Hi Claude, Thanks for the reply mate. Ive seen allot of your comments around the site. Nice IO. :-)   I myself have only just moved to Brisbane from 8 years in canberra. I lived on the north side. I was unsure as to how the 225/70/16's would go on a stock standard IO. I can definatley see that there isnt alot of room between the tyres and the struts. Reading all about it on here has made me a little carefull I spose. If the 225/70/16s fit under the standard struts then I would definatley give them a go. Im looking into a second set of wheels as I drive 500 kms a week too and from work and dont want to up the fuel bill if possible. I have the BF AT's on my rodeo and saw a big differnece on that. I figgure the effort in swapping might out weigh the fuel price. :-) Maybe..   But I agree with you completley. BF Goodrich are definatley a better tyre. Ive done 110 000 kms on the BF's in the rodeo and they are still going. Hard to beat them. $130 a tyre is pritty good for ATs though right. The price of things for this car needs to be considered carefully. The IO is also our third car and its just meant to be a work run about  ;-)  thats how I got around that argument anyway. lol

Cheers

Shane (Shano)

Brisbane Australia

Pajero IO - Chocka Blocka Stocka Standard - Auto Gearbox - 1999 Model - I love it!

Claude io
Claude io's picture
oops...!

I just saw that you have the 99 io,  the 225/70 may not fit on your strut...probably don't fit....I am not sure if it has been tried on this strut ...

Fair comment, and yes $130 is a good price and sometime, cheap can be good  too.  The fuel difference shouldn't be much....half a litre, may be ?

Happy io

natsterrr
natsterrr's picture
Strut size

There are 2 struts that were fitted to iO's. As yours is a 1999 model, it may have either. If you measure the distance from the bottom of the strut to the weld of the lower spring perch, it should be either 245mm or 265mm.

If its 265mm then you will get away with up to 225/75R16 tyres (29"), but as Claude says, this may or may not be legal.

If its 245, a little bit of trial and error might be required - I'm not sure if anyone on the forum has tried other tyres with these struts.

I have an app on my iPhone called "Tyre size calculator" which might help figure out the size and width of other tyres (which will differ with manufacturer and tread pattern, but not bad for a rough guide).

Best of luck.

Size is not important; it's how you use it that matters!

madcat501
Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info guys,

Ill have a look see. I apreciate you taking the time to reply. I believe I have the 245's. Bit of a pain but thats ok. If I decide to go with these tyres I will post some photos so you can see what they era all about.

Cheers

Shane (Shano)

Brisbane Australia

Syndicate

Syndicate content

Translate This Site Into Your Language