Pajero 1998 4G93 GDI, Automatic Transmission but changing the gears late. Taking long before gear change

2 replies [Last post]
Denzel
  • Online Status: Offline
Good day all I am new here and I must say I was looking for such platform. I have been trying to get my Pajero 1998 4G93 GDI fixed by the mechanics for a while now but they are no help.

My Pajero was first experiencing problem whereby it was stuck in 4x4 it was just driving till 80km/h. I was told the was a problem with the transfer case that's the car was in 4x4. I got the transfer case fixes.

Now it is driving better but the problem is the automatic gearbox it is changing the gears late the rev count has to really go up before it changes the gears or sometimes release the gas a bit thenit changes the gear.

Another issue I am experiencing the 4x4 indicator on the dashboard is flashing green the two front wheels and flashing orange in the middle(diff). See attached video

Please assist what the issue might be and what's the best solution to this problem

Chess

fordem
Let's deal with the transmission first ...

For the transmission problem I'd start by making sure the kickdown cable (also known as the throttle valve cable) is free to move and properly adjusted - the kick down cable is responsible for forcing a downshift when you kick the throttle pedal down, but, if it does not return freely when the pedal is released it will delay the upshifts.

For the flashing lights on the 4WD display, you need to check the transfer case switches - there are five switches on the transfer case and a sixth one on the front axle - these switches sense which position the transfer case shifter is in and whether or not the corresponding selection has been made, and will flash the lights if they don't match.

For example - if you select 4H on the lever and 4H is not engaged on the transfer case AND the front axle, the green front wheel lights will flash, if you select 2H and the transfer case does not disengage 4H OR the front axle does not disengage, the green front wheel lights will flash.  If you select a lock center diff and the center diff does not lock the yellow center diff light will flash, if you deselect the locked center differential and the center diff does not unlock, the yellow light will flash.

The problem with the yellow light is usually a defective switch or broken wire, with the green front whel lights it can be a switch, the wiring, or the front axle vacuum system.

You can download the repair manuals from the resource section if you haven't already done so.

Denzel
Thank you this was helpful. I

Thank you this was helpful. I will download the manuals and get back to you with the progress made.

Chess

Syndicate

Syndicate content

Translate This Site Into Your Language