Pajero IO - Auto 1:1.925 low range gear

18 replies [Last post]
simmo777
simmo777's picture
  • Online Status: Offline
Hi forum just did the low range in my 2002 auto 2.0L pajero IO with a helping hand from Keith and tech specs from Bob on this forum and can I just say what a difference! Also mentioned there is a post here with a local guy in Brisbane selling the gears for $50 for both auto and manual already stripped from the gen 2 transfer cases.

First of all I had to get the gears from a generation 2 Pajero 3L v6 auto - had to pull the input shaft and lay gear from the box as below. Cannot stress enough how GOOD circlip pliers (both inner and outter) are required, my supercheap ones bent and had to borrow some from a mate with proper tools.

Below are the gears out of the gen 2 pajero box 

By chance the auto input shaft we pulled out of the box was the exact same length as the one that came out of my auto Pajero IO box - Which meant no need for a speedy sleeve or circlip spacer to make it fit

The seals you need for the auto are below (different to manual)

MR145792 for the input shaft

MD609235 for the auto transmission

Here is how the new gears fit into the pajero IO transfer box - only minimal grinding of the case was needed 

Very happy with how low it is and have had one trip so far with no whining or concerning sounds. Will get video of the speed in due time/next trip videos!

Whole process took a decent amount of the Saturday - letting the silicone dry overnight - and reinstalling sunday - Big props to Keith for letting us use his tools and workshop for the install!

Any questions post below.

2002 5dr Pajero IO QA 2.0L Auto - Lifted, Locked!! 1.925 Low Range - Muddies (205/80/16) - Redback Extractors to 200cell cat to dump at diff Exhaust 

Claude io
Claude io's picture
low gear

You wrote "helping hand from Keith and tech specs from Bob on this forum"      What about me... !!!  lol !!! 

Included in your question, you asked if you could remove the transfer case without removing the gearbox,  I replied that you should be able to.....did you ? 

If you are happy with the 1.925....imagine the 2.85 wink

These io should have come from factory with lower gearing, it is such an improvement.

Happy io

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Claude don't feel left out

Claude don't feel left out buddy, it was bloody hot and so humid that things got crazy and some smack was said because of the heat, we had fun doing it tho and a couple of things that Simmo left out was that the input gear for the auto was the same length where with mine and Bob's in the manual were around 2mm shorter and had to compromise as Bob did the speedy sleeve on the input shaft and I did the spacer behind the seal on the gearbox to push the seal further down the input gear shaft and so far both have worked but there is a huge difference in price, around $60 for Bob and $2 for me.

So the auto input gear was same but manual was different input gear, Simmo wasn't sure what box his gear came out of whether it was Gen 1 or Gen 2, the guy that he bought it from wasn't sure and couldn't tell him so if anyone attempts to do it on a auto later there is no guarantee it will be the same length and will have to go with either Bob's option or mine. Only time will tell.

But all up it's happy days for the person that does do it as it is much better. We went on a run over to Ripley and Both Simmo and myself enjoyed the difference in the gears when it came to go over the rocks and stuff.

But now Simmo is going the way of the hilux (Toyota) shocks on the rear after watching mine go thru the bush with ease and also seeing how the combination of the rear and x-trail struts on the front worked together. I am biast but I have to say my car has became a absolute weapon now in the bush And I Don't Have Lockers.... Lol.

Happy Days...........................

plummer
plummer's picture
Toyota + Nissan lift mix

Keith65 wrote:

But now Simmo is going the way of the hilux (Toyota) shocks on the rear after watching mine go thru the bush with ease and also seeing how the combination of the rear and x-trail struts on the front worked together. I am biast but I have to say my car has became a absolute weapon now in the bush And I Don't Have Lockers.... Lol.

Happy Days...........................

What kind of setup did you choose to lift your car? Can you be more specific?

Regards,

Cristian

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's own courage

Claude io
Claude io's picture
he he

No worries at all !...It is a long love story between Simmo and I .....

My understanding was that Bob put the speedy sleeve not to extend the shaft but " to repair the buring " making the seal leaking.   In post 143  here    http://pajerio.com/forum/change-lowrange-gearing-1548-1925-delica-parts?page=2#comment-19965

Still...did you removed the gear box out of the car to do this mod ?

Happy io

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Hey Claude, I removed the

Hey Claude, I removed the whole lot to do mine, the manual has the gear selector shaft coming thru to the transfer as you would know and I didn't want to have the transfer hanging off it and taking the chance on bending it where the auto doesn't have it. Would be a pain if we bend the selector rod (shaft) and then would have to pull the transfer completely apart to replace it. Didn't want to take that chance.

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Yeh I used the mazda/ ford

Yeh I used the mazda/ ford front springs and Gabrial shocks (81318 for more rear travel) on the rear and it lifts about 40mm I think and on the front I used nissan x-trail 2005 rear struts on the front with the iO's standed springs and it gave it lift, 50mm more droop and has a higher spring pan so you can put higher tyres on if wanted.

The combination of the 2 front and rear working together is fantastic and helps the car go over terain that you  would posibly have had trouble with before .... Happy Days.

simmo777
simmo777's picture
Oh boy

Hey Yeah sorry Claude you did help I was just salty after the auto / handbag comments ;)

Nah mate all good and happy with the mod! We were able to get the transfer off the auto without dropping the auto out of the car! Sucked though... A few of the bolts were hard to get to! Keith had to sacrifice a tool to get to one.

Very very hot weekend in a shed but the difference off road... It's great!

2002 5dr Pajero IO QA 2.0L Auto - Lifted, Locked!! 1.925 Low Range - Muddies (205/80/16) - Redback Extractors to 200cell cat to dump at diff Exhaust 

naughtika

hey guys, sorry to be a pain.  what's the purpose of having this lower ratio?

is it for 4wding alone?

Claude io
Claude io's picture
low gear purpose

Yes it is for 4x4 alone.

In short.....Imagine riding your bicycle up a very steep hill, you will put your lower possible gear, you will go slow but it will be much easier.....pretty  much the same here. Lowering gearing will make the car even slower that what it is from factory and does increase torque as the same time. Here the lower gearing are done on the transfer case and have no effect on your everyday driving, only when low gear are selected on the transfer case.

No such thing to be a pain when asking question.....:)

Happy io

Keith65
Keith65's picture
There are times when you will

There are times when you will need your low range, I found out when I was trying to reverse a 7.25mtr boat trailer up hill into some ones backyard. I nearly burnt my clutch out doing it in normal 2wd and having a lower low ratio gear helps a lot.

But basically yes for 4wd driving but I have found it most helpful so far for when going over very rocky terrain and coming down the other side of it and I am not smashing the crap out of underneath my car because it's bouncing so much because of having to go faster to get over it and for when coming down very steep hills in the bush I don't need to touch the brakes to slow down, in fact last week I had to touch the throttle because it was slowing me down too much so it is going to save your brakes and your clutch and you will be able to do those places that you tried to do before with a lot more ease and not worry about bashing your car about.

And don't worry about being a pain because when I 1st joined this site I was the biggest pain in the arse and also caused some arguments but hey it's all good now and they guy's on here are great.

themis
themis's picture
this gears is from transfer 1

this gears is from transfer 1 gen

Front end rear locker 6"lift tyre 7,5-16 long arm 

Keith65
Keith65's picture
No. I got mine from a Gen 2

No. I got mine from a Gen 2 1995 3.0ltr v6 manual, but i had to use a spacer behind the seal that comes from the gearbox to transfer as Bob_Oz used a speedy sleeve on his manual. When we did Simmo's auto we are not sure if it was a Gen 1 or Gen 2 but his input gear was the same length so he didn't have to do anything but put it in.

themis
themis's picture

Front end rear locker 6"lift tyre 7,5-16 long arm 

simmo777
simmo777's picture
Gen 1 - 2

THEMIS from what I found looking around before doing this mod was that all autos were 23T measuring 31.3m in both Generation 1 and Generation 2 Pajeros - Even the link you provide shows the same measurements for gen 1 and gen 2 auto ?

MadMax
MadMax's picture
Welllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll done and great team work, brillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllliant :)

Hope one day I will do/work on mine....but I have a very minited knowledge in thoses things so... it might never happen ..... still nice to see it done again by the SEQLD bne gang 

I live my life a 1/4 mile at the time

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Yeh don't worry MADMAX so

Yeh don't worry MADMAX so have I got limited knowledge also. Is your auto or manual ?

Pinin on the rocks
Pinin on the rocks's picture
It looks like different Gen2

It looks like different Gen2 models use different low gears. Indid the 3.0L version has compatible low gears with Pinin, but for example the 3.5l doesn't, i have confimred it.

MadMax
MadMax's picture
1.6L manual Keith

1.6L manual Keith

I live my life a 1/4 mile at the time

Syndicate

Syndicate content

Translate This Site Into Your Language