will 215/80/r16 fit on an io

12 replies [Last post]
NiallAUS
NiallAUS's picture
  • Online Status: Offline
Hi Guys ,   I am looking at a used set of the above tyre size , i was just wondering has anyone ever fitted these or anything close. My io is a 1999 wagon with the lower pan front struts . The strus are going to be modified so the pan is 30mm higher and there will be a 40mm strut spacer at the front and 65mm spacer at the rear .Cheers  Niall

Claude io
Claude io's picture
215/80

I have the 225/75, they fit.....the 215/75 is about 4 mm thicker and about 10 mm narrower, I'll say you have a good chance.

Just some basic, you might already know....the first number is the width, the second number is a % of the first number and give you the thickness. So for my 225/75, 225 is the width and the thickness is 75% of 225 or 168.75 mm. For the 215....the thickness is 80% of 215 or 172 mm.

This would be all good in theory but because tyres manufacturer play with sizes and not all 225/75/16, or any other sizes, have the same exact "real size" from one type of tyre to another so one could be bigger than another. This said it does give you a good idea.

I understood that the tyres are to be fitted once you have modified the strut, I don't think that they will fit before (read....pretty sure!)

I am not sure how you are going to modified your strut....but would love to know:) This haven't been done much....(here at least)

Happy io

NiallAUS
NiallAUS's picture
I plan to move the pan (at

I plan to move the pan (at the bottom of the spring) of the strut up around 30mm . This will require removing the strut and grinding the weld of the bottom of the pan moving the pan up and reweld without putting to much heat into the shock as it could damage seals within. this should give a 30mm lift aswell , i also have 25mm steel round bar spacers to drop the front diff . I'm trying to get as much ground clearnce as i can . But i am thinking with the steering on full lock i may rub on the inside , I could then use spacers on the front wheels . I believe the kyb struts are 25mm higher so im thinnking 30mm should be ok.                                          Cheers                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Niall

Claude io
Claude io's picture
strut

30 mm should be plenty. If , for any reason, your welding fail, you still can buy new strut. It might even be a better solution.

I don't think that the tyres will be much of a problem on full lock.

Happy io

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
welding a strut?!?!

NiallAUS wrote:

I plan to move the pan (at the bottom of the spring) of the strut up around 30mm . This will require removing the strut and grinding the weld of the bottom of the pan moving the pan up and reweld without putting to much heat into the shock as it could damage seals within. this should give a 30mm lift aswell , i also have 25mm steel round bar spacers to drop the front diff . I'm trying to get as much ground clearnce as i can . But i am thinking with the steering on full lock i may rub on the inside , I could then use spacers on the front wheels . I believe the kyb struts are 25mm higher so im thinnking 30mm should be ok.                                          Cheers                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Niall

Welding a oil-filled gas pressurised strut is crazy, just buy some new KYB's

The other option i've seen is cutting the spring pan off leaving a 15mm dia flange then spacing the pan up with some tube that is placed over the strut tube - still exposes you to heatin the strut and lever-loading the strut wall.

NiallAUS
NiallAUS's picture
I will if this fails, I Doubt

I will if this fails, I Doubt it will. But hey its worth a try i will probally weld a small bit every half hour or so . The old shocks are goin to be rubbish anyway and 30mm is better than 25 which you get on kyb. I Have checked my local wreckers and there are a set with the raised spring plate there.And i may be a bit crazy ..

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
no point?

the issue you will face is this:

the max size tyres you can fit under the KYB strut plate already start to rub on the chassis when turning - you need to space the rim out away from the strut to clear the chassis by which time the strut is also cleared

helijohn
helijohn's picture
Is it worth it

bob_oz wrote:

the issue you will face is this:

the max size tyres you can fit under the KYB strut plate already start to rub on the chassis when turning - you need to space the rim out away from the strut to clear the chassis by which time the strut is also cleared

So we need to clear the spring saddle AND THE CHASSIS??surprise

Work in progress on my just acquired delapidated  2003 Vivo 11 Junior in need of TLC    

Do it right, use Hammerite.

Why simpify when it is simpler to complicate.

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Hi All, just joined and this

Hi All, just joined and this is my 1st reply to anything. Regarding the tyres: I was running 225/75/16 all terains. I used a 8mm spacer on the hube and the tyre use to rub a little at full lock on the chassis. It also put the speedo out by about 7-8klms at 100klms but did help with fuel consumption tho.

NiallAUS
NiallAUS's picture
I have decided against

I have decided against welding the strut I am just going to get the struts with the higher spring perch . I have found a set of used BFG mT 245/75.16 I am just wondering what thickness of spacer I would need on the front to clear the strut. , and would I need any on the rear . I'm thinking 25mm

Claude io
Claude io's picture
strut

Welcome to the club....of people not welding the strut :) ....For the wheel spacer, try with your spare wheel and pack some washer to try. DO NOT drive with them fitted, only just to see how much clearance you need. You will find plenty of people not liking the wheel spacer.....but they do exist!

I would do the same, front and rear, not just the front.....

Happy io

tb45io
Just do my lift, 70mm front

Just do my lift, 70mm front and is bullet proof strength wise. $150, yes you may need spacers depending on what wheels you use but apart from my current sway bar issue i dont have any problems. and i thrash it when i 4wd.

its not the size, its the way u use it

helijohn
helijohn's picture
Suck it and see

NiallAUS wrote:
I have decided against welding the strut I am just going to get the struts with the higher spring perch . I have found a set of used BFG mT 245/75.16 I am just wondering what thickness of spacer I would need on the front to clear the strut. , and would I need any on the rear . I'm thinking 25mm

I agree to try a wheel.

I have 225s fitted (using the FTO wheels but the backspace is the same as standard so the clearance is too)  and there is loads of distance between the tyre and strut.so you might get away with fitting 245s.  There is also a load of clearance between the tyre and the body/chassis.  It is more than likely that the only concern would be the spring seat.

Work in progress on my just acquired delapidated  2003 Vivo 11 Junior in need of TLC    

Do it right, use Hammerite.

Why simpify when it is simpler to complicate.

Syndicate

Syndicate content

Translate This Site Into Your Language