Granthem's 2002 IO

36 replies [Last post]
Anonymous
  • Online Status:

Hi guys,

Just thought I would post up my IO... Purchased my IO stock as a rock about 6 months ago. Its a 2002 update model, with the 2litre engine and manual. Clean as a whistle!

And after a long trip from Gold Coast, it was home...

First things first - a play in some mud.

annnnnnnd on the beach

Size doesnt matter?? :/

Then came some custom mats...

And a dobinsons lift (and this is where this post ends. I will explain the dramas with this lift in the next post...

Granthem (not verified)
  • Online Status:
  • Post Number: #1
Dammit. BB code doesnt work -

Dammit. BB code doesnt work - I'll fix this up soon!

Granthem (not verified)
  • Online Status:
  • Post Number: #2
I fitted the dobinsons kit -

I fitted the dobinsons kit - which raise the whole car an easy 2 inches. At first I was stoked, but one drive quickly wiped the smile off my face. The shocks would max out if I even went over an M&M.

The car then went back to Dobinsons - and I'm not sure what was done - but I believe the front springs were either cut or re-set lower. The end result was spray painted black springs... and this... a slightly raised front.

For comparison - here is the car half way through fitting the original lift kit - with stock front springs and raised rear...

Filedump.net :: Hotlinkable Dump Of Your Files

Either way - I hate the 'nose down' look the car now has. Nothing with modifying an IO is ever easy is it!

ktm300
ktm300's picture
  • Online Status: Offline
Welcome to planet IO. Your

Welcome to planet IO.

Your apprenticeship of patience & tenacity has begun.

Never send anything back.

"It should be assumed everything I say and do is incorrect ".

Granthem (not verified)
  • Online Status:
  • Post Number: #4
Haha thanks! I am considering

Haha thanks!

I am considering going the 25mm raised spring perch set of KYBs - its a 360 buck exercise in an effort to get the front raised back up to an even level. But since the last time it was that high my struts maxed out... I'm worried the raised KYB's will do the same...

ktm300
ktm300's picture
Plenty of people think the

Plenty of people think the 'raised' kyb option is the go with standard springs?

I replied to your comments re springs elsewhere. There are some kings springs part #'s. Maybe that's another option?

Granthem (not verified)
  • Online Status:
  • Post Number: #6
Thats another option I am

Thats another option I am considering.

Just went and priced rims and tires: Looks like it will soon be riding on the following:

15x7 0 offset black steelies

235/75/R15 (29's) Maxxis Bighorns.

I am expecting them to poke out the guards abit, and will be installing rubber flares to compensate (I am yet to measure up what the width and offset increase will do however, this is just a guess).

Also considering Maxxis Trepadors or Inca Turbos (are all Inca turbo re-moulds like the ones on ebay ?? :/)

singlecell
singlecell's picture
What black steelies are

What black steelies are they?  I looked at getting sunraysia in 15s but they didnt fit over the brakes.

Granthem (not verified)
  • Online Status:
  • Post Number: #8
The rims quoted were "Gecko"

The rims quoted were "Gecko" brand. No idea what they look like yet, or if they fit. But the reckoned they would.

I'm from Rockhampton also, I've seen your red one getting around

ktm300
ktm300's picture
I tried 15x7 magna steelies

I tried 15x7 magna steelies about 6 yrs ago. They fit the rear perfectly but fouled on the front calipers.

I hope yours clear as 15s would be the go for better bag when aired down.

Let us know!

singlecell
singlecell's picture
Did you have your car parked

Did you have your car parked near the hospital a couple of weeks ago? Down on cambridge street in front of some units?

Granthem (not verified)
  • Online Status:
  • Post Number: #11
Too be honest I can't recall

Too be honest I can't recall being there. But I may have been - my memory is pretty unreliable.

I collect the car from Dobinsons today with the springs fixed. I am actually starting to this the 25mm higher spring perch shocks might be the stock standard ones on the update model - reason being I seem to have alot more tire clearance to the strut then another IO I've seen around town, and the fact my car at the moment sits right on 80cm from the ground on the stock 215/65 tires - which means 740mm factory height (as measured by another member on here with a series one) + 30mm lift spring +25mm = around about 800mm

Also test fitting a 235/75/15(29inch) AT today on a Jeep 15.

singlecell
singlecell's picture
I remember seeing a car like

I remember seeing a car like yours with dobinsons springs as I went into the unit block. I was going to tag it with this sites url but when I came back down it was gone.

Let me know how the 15s go.

Granthem (not verified)
  • Online Status:
  • Post Number: #13
I will let you know how they

I will let you know how they go.

here is a pic of them:

blackrain
Dobinsons

Hi

Id just like to know what you mean by max out ? I installed the dobinson springs for the lwb on my swb (not on purpose). The rear is ok..the front feels like a sledge hammer smashing down on the wheel when I go over a bump ! 

Granthem (not verified)
  • Online Status:
  • Post Number: #15
That is exactly what I mean

That is exactly what I mean by maxed out. The strut is already almost fully extended up when the car is on the ground. So over bumps, the shock fully extends, and the strut "maxes out" and hits its maximum extension - thats the hammer noise you're hearing.

It's not correct. Luckily I live in Rockhampton, and Dobinsons have been more then helpful in fixing the issue. I know have the 30mm raise as promised, but my shocks aren't maxed out. Admittedly, I do max the struts out on some 4x4 tracks, but I can live with that.

Granthem (not verified)
  • Online Status:
  • Post Number: #16
All my Dobinsons problems are

All my Dobinsons problems are now sorted - springs now acheive a proper 30mm lift without maxing out the struts everywhere.

This "25mm" KYB strut thing has had me wondering - are there actually two different stuts in the IO's, and the early models are lower, and update models higher. Therefore I decided while my wheel was off to do some measurements. If any of you guys with the older models are planning a wheel off any time soon - maybe you could do the same? These are the stock standard struts in my update 2002 model.

The whole reason for the wheel off was to mock tests some 30's and 29s.

here is a 30-9.5-R15 (note the rim is a 6 stud, so its merely resting against the studs - which is kinda the offset my new rims will be anyway) - result? well I'm pretty positive they will clear my spring perch.

I also test fitted a 235/75/15 (near enough to 29") tire on Jeep rims. The rim sadly hit on the caliper.. but the spring perch easily clears the tire in any event.

Granthem (not verified)
  • Online Status:
  • Post Number: #17
The results of all this? Well

The results of all this? Well now I am in two minds about which size tire to run. The 29 will easily fit, offer a raise, and have less chance of hitting my guard.

The 30s look rather huge however, and are a nice common size that can be picked up for cheap. I'm just abit scared of the tire hitting my guard and ripping it to shreads.

First things first - I need to test fit a Gecko 15inch rim and make sure they actually fit.

singlecell
singlecell's picture
So what was done to fix your

So what was done to fix your dobinson spring issue?

Granthem (not verified)
  • Online Status:
  • Post Number: #19
Pretty positive they chopped

Pretty positive they chopped a coil off and re-set them.

singlecell
singlecell's picture
Fair enough, I thought they

Fair enough, I thought they were only meant to be a 30mm rise to begin with, Weird that you got so much hight out of them the first time.

Ebs (not verified)
  • Online Status:
  • Post Number: #21
hi what did they do to the

hi what did they do to the dobinson springs, just cut them or made some new ones? im thinking of sending mine back if the problem is fixed.

blackrain
Could you please confirm that

Could you please confirm that is what they did so I can take mine back and do the same ? Im in South Africa so I doubt they will do it here but can give me the specs to do it else where. Id realy appriciate it !

Th other plan is to have the Koni shock inserts in the strut lengthend .. Do you guys think this will do the trick or will it be wasting the shock and $$

Granthem (not verified)
  • Online Status:
  • Post Number: #23
I'm not sure what Dobinson's

I'm not sure what Dobinson's did exactly. If I were you I would email them and see if they will send you a set of springs that actually suit. I complained, and that fixed my issues (however I realise being in SA might make things far more difficult).

I am kinda at a cross-road now in relation to the iO. I am not sure whether to put these tires on, or just sell up and get a patrol to be honest. I can't help but feel after everythings done - clearance will still be a huge issue. :\

Glen
Glen's picture
Where did you get the custom

Where did you get the custom Mats?

I wouldnt mind some new ones at some point,, I have the deap dished rubber mats ontop of the old ones at the moment, (a MUST when in the mud ) :) 

ktm300
ktm300's picture
Depends Granthem.

Do you want a 4wd with car like handling, good fuel economy, cheap tyres, low weight, cheap rego/ insurance, ease of parking, that will go everywhere and do everything offroad most people do in their patrols and landcrusers?

Do you want 3.5 t of lumbering wagon, with huge turning circle, big engines, expensive tyres, big bills, terrible on road handling, equal useable offroad ability, that you cant even park in your garage?

I drive with a mate in his gu patrol. Its 3"lifted, 4"body lift, rock sliders, 33" muddies, in-cab swaybar disconnects, LSD, big ass bullbar, and equally big mud flaps.

This thing would go almost anywhere, obviously. The fact is though, Me & the IO go everywhere he go's with no more fuss @ half the size, weight & cost.

Its not what the vehicle can do, it's what you & the vehicle will do.

Daniel
Daniel's picture
yeah i think i might get some

yeah i think i might get some deep rubber mats for mine. i had to clean it out on the weekend. was a very long and painful process lol.

CHECK OUT MY BUILD  VVV
http://www.pajerio.com/forum/daniels-io

Daniel
Daniel's picture
well put sir. you should be a

well put sir. you should be a lawyer. that was a very compelling arguement...

CHECK OUT MY BUILD  VVV
http://www.pajerio.com/forum/daniels-io

Glen
Glen's picture
I wish there was a facebook

I wish there was a facebook style "Like" button on this forum, id click KTMs post there :)

Granthem (not verified)
  • Online Status:
  • Post Number: #29
Whoa a few posts to catch up

Whoa a few posts to catch up on:

1. the mats are made by Matcraft in WA I think - price was 231 for  the front, rear one piece, and cargo mat delivered. To be honest the rear one piece its abit long and has a "hump" in the middle, but im pretty happy with them overall.

And 2. Well that is exactly why I purchased the iO. I wanted a real 4x4 that was cheap to run. I have a fuel guzzling skyline and I really wanted something that sipped the juice instead of sculling it, that could also go offread.

I must admit it hasn't really let me down yet - I just cringe when I hear rocks scrapping on its underbelly. I might just get some decent bash plates made (you should see my stock one :/) and that way I know its not really doing any damage.

PS - I am actually a Lawyer!

Granthem (not verified)
  • Online Status:
  • Post Number: #30
Test fitted the 15x7 Gecko

Test fitted the 15x7 Gecko rim today (0 offset).

Fouled on the brake caliper.

Next up I'm trying a 16x7 (+18) to see if that makes the situation any better.

singlecell
singlecell's picture
Hey mate do you have your

Hey mate do you have your roof racks back on?  I pulled up behind a car which I thought may have been you just the other day.

Granthem (not verified)
  • Online Status:
  • Post Number: #32
Yeh mate they are back on. If

Yeh mate they are back on. If a blonde chick was driving, thats my misses. She's got it alot these days.

I actually put it up for sale last night... I'm in two minds but I think something bigger is in order - to fit the eskies and the fishing rods easier. It's on carsales.

singlecell
singlecell's picture
There way a guy driving with

There way a guy driving with glasses on.  There was a chick in the passenger seat.  Unsure of the hair color.  I was too busy trying to see if it had dobinsons springs.

Something bigger! Let me know when you get bogged and Ill come pull you out hey ;)

Granthem (not verified)
  • Online Status:
  • Post Number: #34
Yeh that was me then. Haha I

Yeh that was me then. Haha I was just about to order these rims and all - but I started getting frustrated with everything being somewhat difficult on the iO.

Some people find that a good thing, but for me I'm starting to find everything I was never happens without hassle. So I'm thinking a D22 Navara might be my next off-road car.

Haha I'll be sure to give you a call if I get stuck... would be good to see if your 1.6 has enough grunt to snatch a 2 tonne heavyweight out :P

singlecell
singlecell's picture
Depending on what suspension

Depending on what suspension options the forum may end up supplying I may end up doing something the same.  Would love a discovery2 my03.

Well my friends sierra snatched out a Cruiser and a 4 door wrangler the other day.

ktm300
ktm300's picture
That's no good GRANTHEM.

It'll be sorry to see you guys go. More among the ranks the better.

Theres no doubt these are small cars.

With four of us,

I fit an 80L esky in the back on the shelf and the rest on the roof, one tub each.

If we're off for more than a week, or in a caravan park I tow a trailer (good excuse to take the bike).

In fact everyone I know do the same, regardless of the vehicle.

Syndicate

Syndicate content

Translate This Site Into Your Language