Winch and front bumper installation on Pajero io 1999

9 replies [Last post]
Grigol_777
Grigol_777's picture
  • Online Status: Offline
Hi my friends!

In this post, I would like to share with you my winch and custom front bumper installation experience.
I hope you will find something interesting for yourself and your ride.

On the following three pictures below you can see how we solved the winch installation issue by welding metal platform on the body of the car. 
Looks solid but will know for sure after test in the mud.

Here below is the bumper creation and installation process, this is still under construction so I will be uploading new pictures as soon as will have some.

Already looks good, but will be better after.

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
bob wil

I love it  -thank you for registering and sharing !!!

fordem
Looks sturdy...

and possibly quite heavy.

I've considered fitting something along those lines to my car, but I'm concerned about the added weight and it's effect on the vehicle ride & handling - we can compensate for the "droop" caused by the weight by fitting stiffer/longer springs or spacers, but I've been warned by people who have more experience than I, about the handling issues caused by having that much weight, that far ahead.

I'm also not certain that I would have wanted to weld it to the structure of the car, I would have preferred a "bolt on" that could be removed - almost all of my modifications have been done so they can be "reversed" if I need to.

How do you get the winch out if/when it needs to be serviced, and where are the fairleads?

Grigol_777
Grigol_777's picture
HI.   This project is ongoing
HI.

This project is ongoing and more pictures I will upload later.

Regarding the weight, yes it will be a bit heavier but for me, it is worth having which when will be stuck in the mud.

According to my estimate calculation, the extra weight will be around 30-40 KG.
* Winch = 20 KG

* Metal Bumper around 15-20 (Will measure when will be done)

* Minus old bumper and few metal parts - around 5-7 KG.

I think not a big deal for winch benefit, and this is going to be offroad car and not for highway so I'm aware of what I'm going for.

The winch is bolted on the frame, and can be removed after removing the bumper, the bumper will be fixed on to four bolts and could be easily removed, also it will have access from the top all the time, I'm not going to hide entire wind inside the bumper.

Any way will drop here the final result and will try to weight all additional and removed parts to know how much weight was added to the car!

Best!

fordem
What winch are you using?

20 kg seems awfully light to me, I took a quick look around and suitably rated winches weigh in at a quite a bit more.

Warn VR8000 - 36 kg (includes fairleads etc.)

Come-up DV9 - 33kg

SuperWinch Talon 9500 - 41 kg.

Grigol_777
Grigol_777's picture
I don't know about others but
I don't know about others but I weight mine before installing and it is 20 GK without the rope.

My winch is unbranded, I bought it used from a person. The only sign on it is 9500 Lbs. Probably some Chinese one.

I'm going to install Synthetic winch rope and it will add more few kgs.

Maybe the ones you mention comes with metal rope and that because total weight is more. It makes sense.

Grigol_777
Grigol_777's picture
New picture.
Metalwork is done.
After a few coats of paint will be ready for installation.

Grigol_777
Grigol_777's picture
Final view bumper. (hook and rope is missing yet)

fordem
I like it.

Looks good - do the shackle mount attach directly to the frame?  What did the total weight come up to?

Grigol_777
Grigol_777's picture
Hi 
Hi

No, shackle mounts are not attached to the frame and that because the main towing points will remain the same, the ones below, original ones.
Shackle mounts on the bumper are mostly for good looking and not for towing.

Unfortunately, I had not opportunity to make the final measurement but estimate weight which was added to car is around 30-40 kg no more.
I drove the car today and didn't feel any differents wiht handling it, even don't feel that something was applied to car. 
Now is time to test a winch in the mud :).

Syndicate

Syndicate content

Translate This Site Into Your Language