WTB drivers front fender - 2002

26 replies [Last post]
bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
  • Online Status: Offline
Smashed up my drivers front fender, anyone seen any in wreckers etc? Needs to be the 2000+ facelift model

NZIO
NZIO's picture
You're not getting away with that Bob...

Details please! (trust you weren't hurt in the incident...?)

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
Fender bender

Ok,

Was sliding down an embankment through 1m tall grass at night and thought I heard a stick hit the front bumper.

I slid down another foot and with a much larger noise a Bunnings Hardware lumber trolly careered past the drivers door.

Nose of the trolly pushed the rear of the wheel arch in badly and pushed the rest of the guard inside out. Bent the door slightly as I opened it to see what happened.

Claude io
Claude io's picture
front guard

Hey Bob, how did you go with that repair? back on track?

Happy io

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
No :(

Still cannot find a drivers front guard. Pulled mine out with a slide hammer roughly and crowbared the rest.

Anyone see a drivers front guard in good condition PLEASE Let me know

Claude io
Claude io's picture
Io parts and front guard

I am not sure if you have or not found a front guard yet. Anyway, I am going to see one io for sale for parts, but it is a 99, 1.8 litre, 5 doors and I have no idea if the guard is the same but I can check by comparing with mine.

I might try to get the complete car so if anyone needs something....let me know.....nothing sure at this time:(

Happy io.

Claude io
Claude io's picture
front guard

I have seen that car and I have measured a few lines and the guard seems, to me, to be the same. This is his chassis number JMFLNH76WXY000403, may be Mitsubishi could check against your chassis number to confirm if they are the same.

The problem is that he wants $1500 for the complete car, and once the guard is gone the car cannot be fixed to be sell again (to make a few $). Anyway that could help you to know that this model have the same front guard, or not...

Happy io.

Claude io
Claude io's picture
My new io

Done, I just bought it !!!, no one seems to need some parts. In a way this is good, it means that they are not needed, such a good car!

I am going to take a few things for my car...side step (if I can shorten them, not sure that I want them....) the rear spring have air bag, and a big surprise: long range fuel tank, again if I can fit them on my car, and if they are not too low.

I will repair what is needed, and sell it.....

If anyone want me to check any difference between both car, let me know. Mine is a 2 litre,2002, 2 doors, this one is 1999, 1.8 litre 4 doors.

This car have a tow bar, and I am going to remove it and sell it, I think that I will ask $150 delivered.

Happy io

This is my new boy....

singlecell
singlecell's picture

Photos of that fuel tank would be great!

Claude io
Claude io's picture
fuel tank pictures

Here they are, the original tanks have been removed and the car have been fitted with custom made bigger tanks instead. I don't know the size of them and they sit lower than the original one (not that bad). I will measure tomorrow and try to estimate their volume.

Happy io

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
Tanks!

Wow!

Tanks should fit,

Very very keen to see them out, especially if there is a manufacturers serial.

Very wow!

natsterrr
natsterrr's picture
Well done Claude.

Nice purchase! I'm wondering if you could measure the tow bar to see if it will fit onto a SWB? I haven't been confident to buy a used one as I know the LWB is longer between the rear wheels and the back of the car.

Very interested to know more about the tank too!

What is actually wrong with the car?

Size is not important; it's how you use it that matters!

Claude io
Claude io's picture
Tow bar

EDIT 27/05/13 This mod cannot be done see post 26

For the tow bar, they are not the same but with a bit of angle grinding it will fit. The long wheel base bracket are longer and have 3 bolts to fix it to the chassis on each side, the 2 first bolts are the same on both car (LWB and SWB), just have to cut the bracket to remove the third bolt fixation, and another small cut for the bracket that old the exhaust. This is why you can see some LWB with the 50 mm tongue, and SWB have the 40 mm tongue. The main bar that goes chassis to chassis is much bigger, 75 mm square, on the LWB and only around 50 mm on the SWB. Both of these main bar have the same length of 926/927 mm.

By doing these cut you lower the towing capacity of your tow bar, just don't pull a Landcruiser! and you have the advantage to have a 50 mm tongue and will be stronger than the original SWB as the main bar is much bigger.

Some pictures

50 mm tongue, the brand is "Trailboss"..LWB pictured

On this one you can see the 3 bolt (one more on the left) and the tape is where it needs to be cut....LWB pictured.

This is mine, and you can see that the fixation is shorter and the space to fit the exhaust bracket on the left. SWB pictured

Happy io

P.S.I might open another thread about this....Sorry Bob....

singlecell
singlecell's picture

Claude. If that towbar can be simple cut down to fit a swb I am interested depending on price.

Claude io
Claude io's picture
tow bar price

I will check the price for freight and let you know.

Natsterrr,

Regarding what it needs doing, I have to give a better look but so far nothing too serious: noisy fuel pump (got told that it always been like that) probably badly fitted and vibrating against the body. Some oil leak at the gear box, oil leak at the rocker cover gasket, maybe the radiator (small leak at the top), 2 tyres, noisy clutch bearing, I may have to remove the gear box on that one, or leave it ! The roof and bonnet have sun damage, ,  I will try to polish it to make it nicer, the remote is not working, pin hole at the exhaust, .  The engine have 297000 kms but it may not be the original one as this one is running like an expensive Swiss watch ! front brake are nearly new, and the hand brake is nice and short, so I think that the rear brakes are good too (I will still check!) missing stereo and a good clean up.

That may sound like a bit more than not much but the only big job is the removing of the gear box...

Happy io

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
Degreaser

I have a minor leak on my rocker cover, after a long hard drive it weeps down over the gear and transfer box, makes it look like i've busted my gearbox! Spray degreaser and a hose and it all goes back to normal

singlecell
singlecell's picture

Claud io wrote:

I will check the price for freight and let you know.

Update?

Claude io
Claude io's picture
Update...not yet!

Sorry, no....I am going on holidays in the next few days and I didn't take the time to check for freight cost..... I will do that early January...after some hard earned fishing time:)

Happy io.

singlecell
singlecell's picture

Thanks claud. No rush. Leave some fish for the rest of us!!

Glen
Glen's picture
Nice one Claud! a larger

Nice one Claud! a larger capacity fuel tank is part of the future of my car too! I have managed to put a ding or 2 in mine already, so i dont want to go much lower, otherwise that one looks great! know how many liters it is?

Claude io
Claude io's picture
Lonrange fuel tank for the io

Ok, since the tank is out, I could measured it properly: 71.5 litres (give or take a couple of litres)

The former owner had the car for 8 years and she didn't know about it. This tank sit around 20mm lower than the original one, and the lower section is much bigger than the original one too (still higher than the rear diff). Because of this it would be a great mod to have for people who wants to do longer trip, but not so much for the wilder 4x4 weekender...like me.

It is very easy to swap, even with no hoist.

If someone is interested to buy it, make an offer...for me to get an original tank cost me $150 delivered, so if I get a bit more, I am happy. I have no plan to do big trip, and I have no use for it....but I would have felt bad to leave it on the car (unique!) as I am sure someone will be very happy to use it.

Happy io

Glen
Glen's picture
whats it made from? tempted,

whats it made from?

tempted, Im just not sure i want a lower tank,

Claude io
Claude io's picture
fuel tank

It looks to be steel. It could be installed for that "special"  trip and swap back after....It takes less than a hour to do...If you don't have long trip plan or at least do long distances  regularly, I don't see the point of having it !! This is why I am selling it, we take my wife's subaru for longer trip...

If you have the use of it, it is an one off opportunity, but only if you have the use of it ....

Happy io

Claude io
Claude io's picture
long range fuel tank

The long range fuel tank is on hold....

Thanks,

Happy io

Edit: SOLD thank you

Glen
Glen's picture
Grab a few pics when you pull

Grab a few pics when you pull it out if you can smiley
I may weld one up at some stage.

Claude io
Claude io's picture
Long range fuel tank pictures

Here it is, I just gave it a hose down to remove the dirt....it has been on the car for more than 8 years....

Happy io

Edit : SOLD thank you

Claude io
Claude io's picture
Wrong info on tow bar swap

[quote=Claude io]

For the tow bar, they are not the same but with a bit of angle grinding it will fit. The long wheel base bracket are longer and have 3 bolts to fix it to the chassis on each side, the 2 first bolts are the same on both car (LWB and SWB), just have to cut the bracket to remove the third bolt fixation, and another small cut for the bracket that old the exhaust. This is why you can see some LWB with the 50 mm tongue, and SWB have the 40 mm tongue. The main bar that goes chassis to chassis is much bigger, 75 mm square, on the LWB and only around 50 mm on the SWB. Both of these main bar have the same length of 926/927 mm.

By doing these cut you lower the towing capacity of your tow bar, just don't pull a Landcruiser! and you have the advantage to have a 50 mm tongue and will be stronger than the original SWB as the main bar is much bigger.

Some pictures

50 mm tongue, the brand is "Trailboss"..LWB pictured

On this one you can see the 3 bolt (one more on the left) and the tape is where it needs to be cut....LWB pictured.

This is mine, and you can see that the fixation is shorter and the space to fit the exhaust bracket on the left. SWB pictured

Happy io

P.S.I might open another thread about this....Sorry Bob....

EDIT from post 12

Again, I am wrong, this swap cannot be done as the cross bar of the tow bar is welded at different position on the bracket. The rear muffler on the SWB will be in the way. bugger....sorry.

Syndicate

Syndicate content

Translate This Site Into Your Language