Christian's 2003 IO

64 replies [Last post]
naughtika
  • Online Status: Offline
hey guys, I'll use this thread to show the status of my car.  From when I found it on carsales and to purchasing it.

I will also add information here things that I find and things that I may stupidly do to it :D

Pictures below are from when I saw it from carsales

External shots...

Engine Bay

Interior:

and acquiring the car

Engine's internal

and Intake Manifold's condition

and only pic of the car I had taken as I was busy driving it around

and how it is right before I left for WA.  I washed and dried the car before covering it up.

Future mods:

- Better Lights - 2.5" or 3" HID Projectors with either 5000k or 6000k bulbs 55w for the 3" ones or 35w for the 2.5" units and might consider switchback Halos to suit

- COP Kit - 4x denso coils to suit - done

- Cold Air Intake - CF air box (ebay) from my previous setup

- Side Steps - might do a DIY unless I see one in gumtree or ebay

- Evo 9 Rims - currently on my other car otherwise EVO X Enkeis that are sitting and waiting for me

- Better Brakes - Bigger Brake Kit  (Twin Piston)  / Stainless Steel Braided Lines

- Leather Seat Covers (from Philippines)

- Clutch Line - I believe there's a part that uses hose, Im planning on replacing this with Stainless Steel Braided Line as well as I find the clutch response to be a little slow.  Perhaps Im just being a retard with it

- Headunit and ICE - may install my 7" single DIN into this car to accommodate reverse camera as well.  as for amps and speakers, I think I will keep it simple - 6.5" splits with a small amp then with an active sub so no messy extra wiring for a big/huge amp

- Window Tint - currently it's tinted, but the passenger side's been scratched up really bad.  May need to look for a workshop that won't ruin the rear windscreen demister.  

- Extra Lighting for Reverse?

- Turbo?

I will most likely come up with some stupid ideas.. so bare with me please :)

MadMax
MadMax's picture
Looks so clean :) Will follow

Looks so clean :)

Will follow the progresses, when are you back???

I live my life a 1/4 mile at the time

naughtika
Feb

MadMax wrote:

Looks so clean :)

Will follow the progresses, when are you back???

will be back Feb 13.. hopefully things go according to plan.. 

so far, last 2 rotation, things I wanted done never happened..

at least I'm half way through assembling my CNC Router, that'll give me time to make my own bash plate.. 

MadMax
MadMax's picture
CNC router, NICE.   If you

CNC router, NICE.

If you make a bash plate, ask here, and make some more, you can make some $$$$$ and people might be happy to get a proper one :)

I live my life a 1/4 mile at the time

naughtika
CNC

MadMax wrote:

CNC router, NICE.

If you make a bash plate, ask here, and make some more, you can make some $$$$$ and people might be happy to get a proper one :)

I made one using the Shapeoko 2 concept, but I found that it flexes on aluminum.  Now Im building a small OX CNC which I saw from Openbuilds.com

few pics

reason for going with this.  I have seen more people with success cutting aluminum and mild steel and the linear rails themselves are  more sturdy than the Shapeoko units.

also, I was thinking the other day about sidesteps..

and I thought of using these Linear Rails as side steps and possibly even have motors on them

simmo777
simmo777's picture
Side steps

Let us know how you go with side steps (can be brought but very rare) or rock sliders (have not seen them for sale only custom jobs)

Nice clean IO!!

2002 5dr Pajero IO QA 2.0L Auto - Lifted, Locked!! 1.925 Low Range - Muddies (205/80/16) - Redback Extractors to 200cell cat to dump at diff Exhaust 

naughtika
sidesteps

simmo777 wrote:

Let us know how you go with side steps (can be brought but very rare) or rock sliders (have not seen them for sale only custom jobs)

Nice clean IO!!

I have contacted a shop in Brisbane regarding the sidesteps and they can supply it or supply and fit it

supply and fitted prices are as follows

$1100 for Integra

$980 for their standard stepboards

was a bit disappointed at the price hence Im looking at other alternative.

as for the projectors, I cant quite picture if which of these 2 will look natural with the IO's headlight..

Apollo 1.0

Apollo 2.0

These are for the square projectors which can accommodate the 55w HID kit

Planning on using Halo with it as well to use as DRL and indicator

naughtika
Weather Shields

fellas, i may be ordering this soon

anyone with a 3 door IO wants to join in?

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Mate if you want side steps

Mate if you want side steps don't buy them, there is a guy i know selling a set for a iO for $100 up here in QLD that he took off his car. If your interested let me know and i will see if he still has them.

naughtika
interested

Keith65 wrote:

Mate if you want side steps don't buy them, there is a guy i know selling a set for a iO for $100 up here in QLD that he took off his car. If your interested let me know and i will see if he still has them.

Hi Keith, if you can please ask your mate.

also where abouts in QLD is he?

Keith65
Keith65's picture
His name is Craig Dillinger

His name is Craig Dillinger and he is from Toowoomba, I will try and get his number for you.

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Sorry, Craig Dallinger and he

Sorry, Craig Dallinger and he is on Facebook.

naughtika
Fb message and update

Keith65 wrote:

Sorry, Craig Dallinger and he is on Facebook.

Hi Keith, thanks.. i tried to message him to make an enquiry but i never received a reply.

---

Today, i serviced the car. Oil changed at 126k kms.. not sure when the last oil change was but oil wasnt too bad. Decided to use Fuchs Tita SuperSyn 5w40

Straight away I feel that the engine moves better, Old oil was probably 10w50 or thicker. I hope that it get better economy by uaing this oil. I know in the past it slightly changed my fuel consumption in the mirage.

Also tooks some underbody shots and engine is definitely clean. Down side is that, I may need a replacement crash bar. I think previous owner hit a pole, No chassis damage though which Im very glad.

Photos coming son... when i get home

naughtika
pictures

took awhile uploading pics..

here are the underside of the engine 

im happy to say that the engine is very clean :)

[img]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g92/naughtika/Pajero%20IO/20160322_113651_zpsw1znhls4.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g92/naughtika/Pajero%20IO/20160322_113656_zpse27olxt4.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g92/naughtika/Pajero%20IO/20160322_113647_zpsf8hwc9my.jpg[/img]

and the oil used for the service

[img]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g92/naughtika/Pajero%20IO/20160322_114100_zpsdaipdrwh.jpg[/img]

and test fitting th cop kit

[img]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g92/naughtika/Pajero%20IO/20160322_111713_zpsg0kwtgeb.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g92/naughtika/Pajero%20IO/20160322_111708_zpse9qrgewz.jpg[/img]

I really need to trim the oe coil mounts and weld on some weld-nuts.  was able to fit the coil on cylinder 1 showed that the height is just right as the coil was still bouncy due to the spring inside it touching the plug's center connector.

when I get back next month, I will properly mod the rocker cover and have it powder coated

simmo777
simmo777's picture
!!

That has got to be one of the cleanest IO engine bays I have ever seen!! Good signs!!

2002 5dr Pajero IO QA 2.0L Auto - Lifted, Locked!! 1.925 Low Range - Muddies (205/80/16) - Redback Extractors to 200cell cat to dump at diff Exhaust 

Claude io
Claude io's picture
looking good

Looking good...I will be watching the finished rocker cover.....

Happy io

naughtika
modified rocker cover

Claude io wrote:

Looking good...I will be watching the finished rocker cover.....

Happy io

hey Claude, 

here's a quick pic of the modified rocker cover, it doesn't look pretty right now.  Once cleaned up and powder coated in wrinkled red (Honda Type R engine color), I hope that it'll out nice and neat.

I've tacked welded flange nuts on the rocker cover so I can mount the coils properly, it worked well in my previous setup.

with some wire sleeving... not the finished product yet.

got few things done on the car as well.. Installed the Hood/Bonnet protector that I bought few months back and I replaced the rubber gear knob with a leather unit from a VR4 along with a Nardi Torino Steering wheel.  both will be retrimmed eventually.

nick_io
Very intrested to see the

Very intrested to see the finished rocker cover. What sort of gains would you expect from doing this? 

Also with the steering wheel how did you go about finding an airbag boss kit for the io?

naughtika
Rocker Cover and Steering Wheel

we'll see how it turns out.. I cant wait to have it powder coated, but since Im usually out of town I only have limited time at home, i may or may not have time to install it..

as for the steering wheel, it is from an 8G Galant VR4.. using Nardi Torino with airbag, it is straight fit (AFAIK) because I've seen my friend install it on his Pajero IO from the Philippines

naughtika
just got the rocker cover

just got the rocker cover back from the powder coaters and will try and install the units tomorrow :)

got the following parts ready at home for the install

4x denso coils with finished harness

1x rocker cover gasket kit

4x spark plug gasket seal

1x evo 8 TB

will update this again tomorrow :)

nick_io
Do you know whats needs to be

Do you know what needs to be modified to fit the evo 8 throttle body? a few weeks ago I had a quick glance at photos to try get an idea and it seems from pictures where the throttle cable 'hooks' on is in the wrong place and the tps and idle control sensor 'should' transfer over. Im assuming the evo throttle body is 60mm? any guidance would be much appreciated :)  

naughtika
I haven't fully sussed it out

I haven't fully sussed it out yet.  But from my imagination, i may have to butcher the IO TB and use the wheel for the evo. TPS should be straight fit, may need to flip it 180° like what i did to the 4g93 SOHC.  as for the ISC, should be straight forward

we'll see how it goes tomorrow

naughtika
It's in!

took me about 20 minutes to install it,

replaced the rocker cover gasket as well as the plugs seals and PCV valve's grommet

will monitor if the fuel usage/economy is better or worse

davejhb
davejhb's picture
Rocker Cover

AWESOME

deejay@netactive.co.za

South Africa - 03 Pajero io 2L MPI, 225/70/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T, 3mm Stainless Steel Bash Plate.

Claude io
Claude io's picture

Looking ...red...:)

Can't wait to hear your result

Happy io

naughtika
re-fuelled

so, filled up tonight with 38.27L total travelled was 403.6kms

that's 9.482L/100kms that's an improvement already for me :) see how far this tank gets me next time

car will  be hibernating again soon.

simmo777
simmo777's picture
Fuel Economy

Hi do you think the new denso coils with harness are giving you the better fuel economy? Or was the evo 8 throttle body in as well - Super keen to hear about this in regards to throttle response and fuel economy

Cheers

naughtika
ran out of time

I haven't installed the EVO TB as I ran out of time yesterday.

may try and tinker with it today if I have enough time..

there's definitely change in pickup from mid to high rev range. I think this is due to the particular coil that Im using as it's meant for a high rpm engine.

I do remember that the EVO TB gave me really good pick up from low end to mid rev range as this was my initial issue with my lancer back then.

simmo777
simmo777's picture
Good Results

Awsome well if you get the chance can you take plenty of pictures? 

Always on the hunt for better fuel economy running extractors + muffler deleted exhaust with lift and bigger tyres + auto  in my 2.0L 5dr. 

Would assume these mods would compliment the exhaust stuff I have done, would love to hear your experiences after a few km's. Is it an Evo 8 throttle body you plan to use? Did you go 2nd hand or new or have a contact who got you onto it? Great to hear it worked well on the lancer.

naughtika
Headlights

just placed an order for these set.  Motorized headlights.  Which I will be retrofitting to the IO :)  along with Projectors and stuff

simmo777
simmo777's picture
Old lights

Hi let us know if you want to look at selling off your old lights if you don't want to keep them as spares...

Mine are FADED as and have tried all the products under the sun trying to restore them and then various others to add a layer of protection. Always back within a month or two. 

naughtika
repaint and buff

simmo777 wrote:

Hi let us know if you want to look at selling off your old lights if you don't want to keep them as spares...

Mine are FADED as and have tried all the products under the sun trying to restore them and then various others to add a layer of protection. Always back within a month or two.

best is to clean it up, sand it with 2000 grit sandpaper, then have it profesionally repainted with acrylic clear.. i think PPG will work best.. 2/3 layers should work then sand it down with 2000 grit again then buff the heck out of it

fordem
Be VERY careful with that approach...

naughtika wrote:

best is to clean it up, sand it with 2000 grit sandpaper, then have it profesionally repainted with acrylic clear.. i think PPG will work best.. 2/3 layers should work then sand it down with 2000 grit again then buff the heck out of it

The problem wth the lights is UV and when you buff away the protective UV coating, the plastic discolors even more rapidly - I had my lights (on a different vehicle) professionally buffed when the vehicle was refinished, and when we tried repainting with a UV resistant clear coat (which I believe was PPG), it attacked and etched the plastic.

Claude io
Claude io's picture
yes

Yes you are correct, it can happen, there is a special undercoat for this to properly bind to the plastic.....

Simmo, once you sand and polish for the first time, you actualy removing the thin layer of UV protection, this is why is become yellow a lot quicker after.

Happy io

naughtika
electronic side steps

hey guys, any of you know where I can acquire this?

https://

naughtika
is it Christmas yet?

my partner just informed me that these packages arrived.. 

of course, I asked her to open the main one :)

thanks Ebay Germany!

and i believe in the smaller boxes are the switches and bits and bobs

time to retrofit the projectors soon :)

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
keen to see how the leveling

keen to see how the leveling headlights work in your io.

crap were they RHD or LHD lenses?

naughtika
LHD vs RHD

bob_oz wrote:

keen to see how the leveling headlights work in your io.

crap were they RHD or LHD lenses?

I think they are LHD.. but it doesn't matter since it'll house a RHD projector :)

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
cool

cool - be careful as i'm certain they have LH and RH mirrors in them

naughtika
Need opinion please

contemplating on using square projector (one in red box)

or  round ones

either of the projector can utilize DRL, and also switchback where they are also used as indicators

what are your thoughts?

Claude io
Claude io's picture
opinion

I would say....round....

Happy io

naughtika
retrofit

Claude io wrote:

I would say....round....

Happy io

played around with the projector last month (while I was on RnR)

front - few scuff marks but no deep scratches and lens is still clear, not yellowish like what most plastic headlights in oz turn into

rear part, almost identical to the local released IO's.  I will need to run separate wires to make these motors work

headlight goes into the oven for some bakin'

initial test fit...

and aligned.  to be honest, im not happy with how the light output turned out.  I'll be replacing the projector units with the D2S ones as they have sharper output and can take 55w HID's

tha's all for now.  I should receive the Switchback Halos in 2 weeks time.

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
What's the magic headlight

What's the magic headlight baking method?

naughtika
method

bob_oz wrote:

What's the magic headlight baking method?

*preheat oven at 140°C;

1. remove anything you can remove from it - dust covers, bulbs

2. remove 2x small screws on the back of the headlights 

3. once oven is at right temp - put it in the oven without touchin any metal bits (add a carton ro raise the item

4. time it for 5-6 minutes and take it out and start pulling the lens cover away

*caution* sh1t will be hot, so use some sort of gloves to ensure you dont burn yourself

*disclaimer* i will not be held responsible for your mistakes or any mishap caused

above is just a quick reference on how to open the headlights.

naughtika
Rear Swaybar

been quiet with this car as I have been working on getting the other Mitsubishi get back on the road

anyway, I managed to snag rear sway bar kit from Germany.  Hopefully I can install it on mine..  I think I'll have to come up with a bracket somehow..

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
rear sway bar

ive got the identical part - also from germany - 

I'll be welding on brackets when i refurb my rear axle later this year - 

plan was some good 4140 20mm square tube or CroMo equivalent, drill and tap the side or weld captive nuts so the bracket bolts along the tube, then profile the other side to hug the curve of the axle tube and weld on. provides a low-profile free-draining mount.

Need to get long range tank and exhaust done first as rear-sway bar will potentially impact on sub tank

Keith65
Keith65's picture
Hey Buddy, any more updates

Hey Buddy, any more updates on fuel ecomony after installing the 4 coils and what about response on the throttle ?

Thinking about doing the conversion on my 1.8.

naughtika
fuel economy

Keith65 wrote:

Hey Buddy, any more updates on fuel ecomony after installing the 4 coils and what about response on the throttle ?

Thinking about doing the conversion on my 1.8.

hey bud, sorry no updates on the COP kits on my car, simply because I dont get consistent drives with it.

i only get to drive it for around 200kms then it sits around for a month.

unless you want to try this.

naughtika
Seats

managed to score Recaro Enjoy.. I believe these are out of the Golf GTi's... not sure which year model though.. possibly early ones

pics are from ebay

will be picking them up on Saturday

bob_oz
bob_oz's picture
recaro into io

There is a post i listed for the genuine io to recaro Njoy bases seat mount - melbourne ideal seat can get them in - well worth it.

I have just one in the drivers spot. awaiting me to repair passengers before I fit it.

you're welcome to come and look at my drivers one and copy/measure it

othwerwise idealseat need the actual recaro numbers to order - they cannot look them up.

recaro Item No left seat 1083.104.1
recaro Item No Right seat 1083.104.2

naughtika
seat rails

bob_oz wrote:

There is a post i listed for the genuine io to recaro Njoy bases seat mount - melbourne ideal seat can get them in - well worth it.

I have just one in the drivers spot. awaiting me to repair passengers before I fit it.

you're welcome to come and look at my drivers one and copy/measure it

othwerwise idealseat need the actual recaro numbers to order - they cannot look them up.

recaro Item No left seat 1083.104.1
recaro Item No Right seat 1083.104.2

yeah, I emailed them with the above part numbers but said they can't get it.

Syndicate

Syndicate content

Translate This Site Into Your Language